1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO qualification- please can someone advise!?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Lisa E, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Has anyone completed or about to start their Senco qualification and if so, any thoughts or advice would very much be appreciated.
    I am due to start mine in September, with reservations I might add and would love to know whether a) this is still a requirement for all new Sencos b) a worthwhile experience or c) any other thoughts.

I have a real dilemna as to whether to go ahed with this qualification, having so much on my plate already and would love to hear your thoughts.
    Many thanks in advance.
    L

2. Hi Lisa,
    I am in the middle of completing the SEN qualification. Yes you are right to be worried about taking this on on top of all the other things that are expected of the SENCO. There is a lot of work involved.
    The secret is to pace yourself, you can not complete it in a few weeks just before the deadline! It has been heavy going at times, but what I can say is that I have found that it has given me a clearer understanding of SEN issues in society as a whole but does little to support the practical development of good practice in school.
    The only other thing to add is that the course I am enroled on is a distance learning course and the links provided by the university can be very frustrating when they do not work!

3. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I agree.

4. Hi,
    Many thanks for your reply. The course certainly sounds demanding, which was one of my reservations but feel I need to bite the bullet and do it anyway. I've not opted for a distant learning course and keeping fingers tightly crossed that this will make things slightly easier. Acquiring a clearer understanding of SEN issues in society sounds interesting but I had hoped that it was also help with day-to-day aspects too. Not to be, by the sounds of it.
    I will indeed take your advice and endeavour to pace myself. September is going to be even more busy that usual!!!

Thanks again for your advice and have a good summer.
    Lisa