1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO qualification - help please

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by 1212Deb, May 17, 2017.

1. 1212Deb

1212Deb New commenter

Hi All,

I have to do the SENCO qualification. Can anyone recommend a provider they have used recently? (Threads here are a few years old)

Ideally I'd prefer online/distance learning - with as few assignments as possible! (I don't need face to face and 'mingling' as I've been doing the role for two years anyway and already am part of a network of SENCOs). My local SAS recommends Edge Hill (too much face to face time) and SERCO/Wolverhamption, which requires 3 dissertations and quite a lot of partner school study. Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks in advance

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I would have said EHU but you have reasons for not pursuing with them

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Don't think you will find one with less in the way of face to face and assignments. I completed mine through SERCO/Wolverhampton. It is very time consuming and hard work. This is so for all of them according to others I've talked to.

minnie me likes this.
  4. 1212Deb

1212Deb New commenter

Thanks for the replies.
    I've had a look at quite a few providers now and to be honest there's no short way round it is there?
    My 'caretaker' SENCO role is about to hit it's third year so I'm going to have to enrol on one in the next few weeks regardless.
    Aside from the extra workload Wotton, how did you find it? Any advice?

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I hadn't studied for many many years so getting back into it was difficult. No fantastic grades for me I was just happy to pass. I found that I did most of my work late at night once the rest of the house had gone to bed, no children to distract me. I spent a small fortune on books as I hated reading online plus often the online library didn't work or have what I wanted. You need to be very organised especially if working full time, I was part time. I enjoyed the learning but not the essay writing. My cohort were nice but not so supportive of each other on the online forum. I spent more time talking with a different cohort. As it was online there were some technical problems now and then. I was glad I completed the course as it was good for my self esteem though I didn't think it gave me additional skills to do the job.

6. marmalade123

marmalade123 New commenter

7. siobhanbrosnan

siobhanbrosnan New commenter

I've been with Sunderland this year. I'm still awaiting confirmation of course completion but really did enjoy the experience. I did the *face to face* route, with 5 Saturdays and one school day of learning- I felt the opportunity to meet other SENDCo's/aspiring SENDCO's was one the highlights of the course. I also feel the two leads were engaging and understanding in their direction. The lead female tutor (who was fantastic by the way!) informed me this week Sunderland are also running the IDL (independent distance learning) route for academic year 2017-2018- could be worth a look for 1212Deb. The course I completed involved a 5000 literature review, a 5000 word critical incident analysis and a supporting file of evidence to show implementation in own setting. This course suited me, I felt I learnt a lot and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.