1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCo qualification essay. Critically analyse the role of the SENCo as a leader and manager

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by christinalocke, Nov 7, 2017.

1. christinalocke

christinalocke New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently completing the SENCo award and funding it myself so I am not currently in post.

I have looked at some fantastic books including " Transforming the role of the SENCo and the SENCo handbook by Elizabeth Crowe.

My essay title is "Critically analyse the role of the SENCo as a leader and manager in the whole school approach". I have to write 3000 words.

Does anyone have any tips as to what I could focus on. There seems to be so much I could potentially write about and my head is spinning! My essay is 3000 words.

Any help would be massively appreciated no matter how brief!

Kind regards xxx

2. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Have you read the article by Rosen Webb ' No one tells you how to be a SENCO ' - google is your friend !

3. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Have a look at some of Alison Ekins books - really practical stuff.
    I think you should contact your tutor and ask for some advice! That’s what you’re paying for!

4. b15b2y

b15b2y New commenter

I think one of my essays was of a similar title.
    I included reference to the 2014 COP and the 'recommendations' that really changed very little in terms of responsibility and time allowed.

5. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

I am a middle leader (head of faculty) but not a SENCO, so I do hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes in responding to your post! I am thinking about the phrase 'whole school approach'. I think you should focus on how the SEN provision and you/your SEN team would fit in with the context of the T&L that goes on every day in school. Think about how you would get ALL stakeholders on board, not just your team. Give practical, specific, real-life examples of what this would look like e.g. what sorts of CPD would you deliver on INSET days.

Good luck!

minnie me likes this.