1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Senco pay progression

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kdgolder1, Nov 8, 2018.

1. kdgolder1

kdgolder1 New commenter

Ladt year at performance management I was told that this year I would go to UPS. Over the last year I was teaching 2 days, was lead for Sci, PHSE, RE, Thrive, School Council, did STEM club and did my NASENCo. while ‘assistant senco’ but doing the bulk of the role.
    This year I decided to not teach but I am senco in 2 schools in the MAT instead. Last term the HT who had told me I would go through went to a new school. The interim HT in my PM said I would go through but has just come back to me and said as I am now not teaching that he can’t put me through and wants to give me SEN allocation instead. It’s not sitting easy with me. What do others think?

2. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Well, you're not teaching anymore so the MPS/UPS might not apply under the MAT pay policy.

You might fall under leadership/other roles on the pay policy. Ask for an outline of the SENCO pay scales.

You could request that it be noted that you are advanced to UPS in the event of returning to teaching, should you move role/school, and you can accept their SENCO pay scales if they are satisfactory.

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Senior commenter

I'm not completely sure about this but it might be worth exploring if you are entitled to UPS and one or two SEN points. This may give you more than being on the leadershipsc ale depending on whereabouts on the leadership scale they might put you.