1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO pay - and your opinion please? Thanks

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kweebert, Oct 26, 2008.

1. I'm interested in becoming a SENCO but was told by a teacher at the school I work that there is no pay increase, no TLR etc etc and that I should think twice before becoming a SENCO, particularly considering the amount of work involved. Is this the norm for every school, or is it just particular to individual schools? I havent asked anyone else, and I'm not interested in the pay side of the job, but would like to know how it is supposed to work. I would also appreciate your thoughts on what it's like being a SENCO - any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

2. I'm interested in becoming a SENCO but was told by a teacher at the school I work that there is no pay increase, no TLR etc etc and that I should think twice before becoming a SENCO, particularly considering the amount of work involved. Is this the norm for every school, or is it just particular to individual schools? I havent asked anyone else, and I'm not interested in the pay side of the job, but would like to know how it is supposed to work. I would also appreciate your thoughts on what it's like being a SENCO - any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

3. In all the schools I have ever taught in the SENCo got paid extra for doing the job and got extra time to do the job. It doesn't happen in the school I am currently in. If it is a job that comes with a TLR then you would have a TLR for it. New pay and conditions document talks about being paid for extra responsibility such as coordinating and SENCo positions. Check it out.

4. I get an afternoon a week to be SENCO when I am expected to timetable in meetings etc. I get no TLR but in my opinion the time is more valuable than money in terms of this role.

It really varies from school to school though.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm SENCO at my school and don't get any extra money or time for the SENCO role

6. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

I thought all SENCOs received the SENCO allowance. The SEN1 allowance is £1,912 and the SEN2 is £3,778 (presumably for large schools)

7. Thanks to all. It does seem to be relativelt varied in how schools treat their SENCO?

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

It really depends on the emphasis your school and LA put on the role - and the amount of SEN in your school. In my school for example we have a full time SENCO who is a mamber of SMT - I think her pay reflects this.

This is commonplace in many of the schools round our way that are in deprived areas. Other schools that have a much lower % of SEN tend to have the SENCO as one of the class teachers.

I'm just starting my MA in SEN so that I can eventually apply for the role of SENCO - more and more places are requesting further SEN related qualifications now - especially as the role is becoming more involved, with many schools now calling it 'Inclusions manager' (also responsible for EAL and G&T). I may be mistaken but I think that it is shortly going to be compulsory for all SENCOs to have a particular qualification or equivalent.

When I looked on the jobs site around 6 months ago there were a fair few advertisments for full-time SENCOs so the opportunities really are there if you want them. It really does depend on the individual schools so good luck :)

9. Our SENCO has a well-deserved TLR point, plus she gets half a day on top of PPA for paperwork, meetings... The role is huge, but worthwhile.

10. Thank you RJR_38, that throws even more light on the subject (along with everyone else's input). I was also thinking of doing an MA in SEN, however, I've been 'advised' to think again because of how much work it involves. I'd be very interested in how you get on at your MA (work load etc)? In any case, thank you again for the breakdown.

11. Msz

It doesn't always work that way my school has high levels of SEN and is situated in an area designated one of depravation. I'm SENCO & INCO (among other things) but the budget just doesn't stretch to TLR for the role.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/teachers/sen/nationalstandards.aspx

The DCSF has said that it would require all newly appointed SENCOs to
    undertake nationally accredited training and commissioned the TDA to
    develop the necessary arrangements, building on the widest possible
    consensus. The TDA has analysed the responses to their consultations
    and interviews with serving SENCOs, headteachers, teachers and local
    authority SEN and school improvement teams about the role of the SENCO
    and how a national scheme for accrediting SENCOs newly appointed to the
    role might operate. The agency expects to submit its initial advice to
    the DCSF shortly. This will set out initial conclusions from the
    opening stages of the work and outline the further work needed to
    progress to full implementation (target: September 2009).

12. In a one form entry school; our SENCO is also Literacy co-ordinator! She gets a day for SEN work, which is never enough! She has my utmost admiration for the job(s) she does; SEN is VERY hard work and I wouldn't want to do it for all the tea in China!

13. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I know I'm resurrecting a rather old post here, but it seems rather quiet over on the SEN forum. Can I ask if there are any primary SENCos on here and what your job entails on a daily basis?

Are you a member of SMT? Also-do you get any release time or extra pay? If you do the role on a part time basis-would you only get the extra allowance on a pro-rata basis?

Many thanks!

14. Msz

There isn't any extra pay for being a SENCO unless the school Is able to offer a TLR. SEN allowance mentioned earlier in the thread is paid to teachers who teach pupils with SEN.

I'm on the SMT and get release time on a ad hoc basis rather than have regular time allocated.

15. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Right-so if you were a class teacher on eg M6, who took on the SENCO role-your pay wouldn't increase, you'd just have more work?

Then, if you worked part time 3 days a week teaching (at M6) and then took on an extra day's work as SENCO-you'd simply get paid another day at the M6 rate?

Would love to hear from any other SENCOs how it works in your school?

16. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

If you are considering becoming a SENCo for financial remuneration then you may need to think again! It is role that you need to do because you have a passion for it. It is an incredibly interesting job for which there is never enough time. Even though I am a full time Senco, I still bring work home and never feel I have got on top of it.

If you are unsure of the role you could google SENCo Standards.