1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO opportunity - experienced advice please

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jody2010, Nov 28, 2015.

?

Take it without extra pay?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. jody2010

jody2010 New commenter

Hi I'm currently working as a class teacher in a private day nursery , it is my first fully qualified year of teaching. I have expressed an interest in taking on more responsibilities in the company and have been informed a possible lead SENCO role would be available by taking the responsibility off my manager ( the manager of the nusery) but she also told me that there would be no extra salary benefits with this responsibility , please advise! I would love to take on this opportunity to further my career but I am also fully aware of how huge and important the role is and the responsibility I would have! Is it right that no extra pay would come with this in a private setting? Please help and thank you so much in advance. Jody x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is one of the occasions where you have to weigh things up.

Taking on this role will give you experience and the opportunity to acquire new skills that could help you get another job in the future. As well as being personally rewarding.

Is this worth anything to you?

As a privatel'y run organisation they may actually nit have the money to pay you more. You might consider saying gat you would love to be given this opportunity, but had hoped that the extra responsibility and effort would be recognised with a small payrise. If they say that's not possible, ask if the situation could be reviewed in 6 mons when they will have had a chance to see how well you've done in the role.

You see, they may be wary of giving you the role and then it turns out that you don't live up to their hopes.

Bestwishes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Millions of typos, I do apologise!