1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Senco interview questions

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by griffi2000, May 6, 2017.

1. woolly2000

woolly2000 New commenter

I'm preparing for a job interview for a Senco position. Could anyone help me with possible job interview questions? This is the first time I've applied for this kind of role although I have a special needs background.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have you looked at the SENCO standards as a starter for 10 ? Background in SEND is useful ( theory to underpin the practice ) but this role is about leadership and management of provision so .... you may be asked about developing quality first teaching, making all staff accountable in addressing difficulties and disabilities / priority learning need how would you model, monitor and evaluate effectiveness ? So other areas to consider are appropriateness of documentation /provision mapping ( prioritising success criteria rather than listing things on offer ) , demonstrating value for money ( via deployment of TAs and resources ), communication with parents, staff training, ( audit and action planning ), raising the game / confidence and sensibilities of all staff and additional adults in SEND issues ( maybe through a steering committee for student support / handbook ), definition of 'progress' ( personal, emotional, academic and social ) - how do you demonstrate and report on it ? interpreting and acting upon data ( CATs ) , screening tools , involving/ reporting to Governors , working with paraprofessionals, managing change ....You don' t say if you are Primary / Secondary but I think most of the above applies equally. Just some random thoughts. Good Luck

3. woolly2000

woolly2000 New commenter

Thanks that gives me a lot to think about. It's a very different role for me. I'm reading a handbook for Senco's and I'm hoping I can talk about lots of transferable skills.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I just read the other post - you were in special .. so if looking to move to mainstream and larger setting ... but yes I am sure you have transferable skills ... and this is my interpretation of the role - other colleagues may disagree. Best

5. actilly

actilly New commenter

Questions: why this school?

I got asked what was my biggest professional failure? looking for decision making and learning how i bounced back from it i guess.... blind sided me for a bit...

What makes a good leader? What qualities do i have and what would i need to develop?

How would i deal eith x and y (cp or difficult student issues)

One on managing difficult or uncooperative colleagues (back to leadership questions) ....

I also was given an unexpected cold task with a group of difficult students and had to be observed. There was also an admin task in different places this has taken different forms - letter writing a complaint, writing an EHCP up and data task.

I wish you luck. Also if you google denco interview questions there an elaborate list too.

6. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Good luck!!

You will prob get questions around:
    Impact of interventions you have led
    Dealing with challenging behaviour
    Safeguarding
    How would you know your successful?
    How would you identify/support others to identify SEND?
    How would you monitor impact?
    Work with other professionals effectively?
    Work with a colleague who was being resistant?

Make sure you refer to the code of Practice!!
    It's a very data based role now so know your Raise etc.
    Keep up to speed with what's going on in the work of Sen at the moment e.g. the https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/561411/Rochford_Review_Report_v5_PFDA.pdf