1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO interview Primary

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Tiggy99, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Tiggy99

Tiggy99 New commenter

Hi all. I have an interview for a SENCO post next week. The interview includes a 30 minute task (no detail), a presentation with prep time (no more detail) an observation and feedback and an interview. I am like a rabbit in headlights and really want any support or advice on how to prepare for this. Thank you all in advance. .

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Seems to me the whole point is to ensure no-one can prepare too much and arrives on an even footing.
    presumably you''ll have access to some resources or the internet to prepare so I'd look up some good sites you could visit during the prep.

Perhaps take a couple of examples of lessons suitable for a SEN group in English and Maths which you could adapt on the day?

The task could be writing a letter or preparing for a phone call to parents/ one of the outside agencies, so make sure you know the names, what they do and possibly some addresses.

Tiggy99 likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You may be given a profile and asked to write guidance for the staff. Your observation may involve how you would deploy a TA. There may be a data exercise which asks you how this will inform future practice ? Or you may be observing and then observed how you feedback to the member of staff concerned. The role is primarily about leadership and management so I would expect the tasks to reflect that

Tiggy99 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I prepared an in tray exercise and based it around deciding on the priorities for support. Something like an exercise that a deputy or senior leader would be expected to do. So deciding on urgent, important, can wait, can be delegated.

They will want to know how you would manage staff, communicate with others, lead by example.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.