1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCo in PRU

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by hamiltonsarah, Dec 15, 2015.

1. hamiltonsarah

hamiltonsarah New commenter

Anyone have any experience working in a KS3-4 PRU for behaviour issues. At the moment no interventions, no TAs, brief IEPs.... it's a huge job! Any advise with suitable IEP format; assessment; interventions that can be accessed by teaching staff (cheap!)... would be gratefully received!!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that I would sack the IEP thing.Am pretty sure that most of the students with behavioural difficulties will be exhibiting the same / similar traits so for me this is about training the staff ( whole school even if it is a PRU and I assume with limited bodies ) in a range of approaches. This makes sense for a lot of reasons. Important also that your strategies have identified outcomes and are not just a list of things that the staff action. Re Assessment - lots of schools reinventing their procedures because of the change to policy so you can afford to be creative here. You don't say what kind of interventions ? Remember whether cheap or not the delivery is only as good as the deliverer so again crucial that training is of a high standard.

3. ConvivialCatMan

ConvivialCatMan New commenter

I worked in a PRUDHOE for a year 10 years ago. No SENCO then. Madness.

4. ConvivialCatMan

ConvivialCatMan New commenter

That should say PRU (auto txt)

5. acthell

acthell New commenter

Provide teaching strategies for all staff. Implement only PASSPORTS (new style of IEPs) for the few that have significant behavioural issues and it acts as a warning/pass for leaving the room

6. andrewgrandison37

andrewgrandison37 New commenter

Hi,

Im currently on the SENCO course through my school (a PRU) and am wondering which bits of it actually apply to me as its geared to mainstream really. Are you doing a similar job?