1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO dilemmas

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Autumncrunch, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Autumncrunch

Autumncrunch New commenter

I am a SENCO in a busy primary school. I have 1.6 ish days devoted to the role. It would make my life much easier if I were on the senior management team as I feel that I lack the sway and authority that would come with this and I am not part of the planning process in the school. I find it really frustrating and have requested on many occasions that I be included. Is there anything else I can say to make this happen or should I be looking for another job?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there, I can understand that this is frustrating for you.

No, I don't think that there is.

If the leadership structure of the school is without the SENCO on SLT (and this is not uncommon, btw), then there's nothing much in my view that you can do.

You could try posting on the Headteachers Forum to see what their views are. But don't hold your breath . . .

Best wishes

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Our SLT meetings invite specific people to attend for relevant parts of the meeting. This keeps SLT small, meetings brisker, avoids people like the SENCO getting bored in the rest of the meeting, and allows them time to do other useful things. Worth suggesting?

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that it has often been promoted that the person i/c inclusion should be a part of the LT as the job spec equates with leadership and management. Agree though that this is rare especially in Primary and not a given in Secondary ......but at the risk of being contentious, just having the title does not mean you ( not you in this case ! ) should automatically have a place on this team. Integrity and vision are key. Crucially though you should be there to ensure that all children are the recipients of inclusive t and l strategies eg by conducting observations, monitoring, reporting on the effectiveness of the curriculum, identifying training needs blah blah .....and feeding back to secure better outcomes for the children not just those identified with SEND . Suspect there are lots of schools which still perceive the role of the SENCO as that of ' dealing with ' a significant few rather taking the lead in modelling the practice you expect to see from all your staff members and making judgements about the effectiveness of the curriculum, skills and confidence of the staff in accommodating children with a range of need. Have you done the SENCO accreditation or similar middle leader / NPQH type programme ? Again just because folk have pursued these does not mean they are better leader or managers but it may show your present setting that you have intent / better place you for a LT post in another school ?