1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO cluster meetings.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by pbruton, Jan 5, 2016.

1. pbruton

pbruton New commenter

In the summer I left teaching and now work for a small company that makes a communication and literacy intervention. Part of my new role is set up meetings with schools to inform them about what we do.

I would like to find out if SENCO's in schools in your area get together for meetings? I know our SENCO in South Birmingham used to.

And if yes, do you organise the meetings?

Thank you.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I used to organise SENCO cluster meetings a few years ago when I worked part time for a large LA. This meant recruiting District SENCos for three clusters as well as my own. I had to conform to a particular 'meeting model' at the time because it was what my line manager wanted but there were issues. Rarely was there an agenda that ' suited ' all parties ( we were a mixed Primary and Secondary co hort in a selective 11 + set up ), timing of meetings ( dates and days were impossible to syncronise to be accessible to all parties of course ), arranging locations, refreshments , co ordinating attendance / ' guest 'speakers, balance / relevance of input and acting on feedback - essential if the meetings were to sustain credibility and impact on practice. I think there was a suggestion that developing online support as an alternative should be pursued . This did not happen because the LA effectively disbanded . The cluster group model may woke well in some localities but from my experience it was a lot of effort for little return. Not sure if this helps you - sorry ? !

3. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Yes-there are SENCo cluster meetings in my LEA. They are brilliant!