1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO Career Development Possibilities

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lilypops1, Jul 15, 2019.

1. lilypops1

lilypops1 New commenter

Dear Theo,

I think this is appropriate as a Dear Theo but apologise if it is not.

I recently moved to a part time non teaching SENCO position after having taught in a dew different sorts of schools over the past decade. The move has given me a renewed passion for leadership (I took a side step while my children were babies) and made me consider my long term career plan which is where I'd like the help from the wonderful forum contributors! It has also made me realise how much I love (and miss the classroom).

My dream job would ultimately to be able to teach and lead! My question is whether it would be possible to move to a teaching DHT, base leader or HT role in a few (or more) years after not having had a class of my own? Do I need to either do supply / volunteering on the side when I can to ensure my teaching practise remains current and build experience in the key stage I am less experienced with?

What sorts of experiences do I need to pursue with my leadership team to ensure I am able to realise my dream and how can I start to re-build my leadership dream after taking a career break for my children? Do HT need a specific qualification any more?

Thanks so much!