1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO Award

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Hoxton, Mar 26, 2011.

1. I am am deputy SENCo in a mainstream secondary.....

Does anyone know what is happening with the National Senco award - is it being scrapped?

What provider is best to undertake it with - there seem to be so many!!!!

Help!

Thanks.

2. Our regional training providers for he LEA are just in the process of interviewing the next round of 'students' for the award so I would guess the answer is no, it isn't being scrapped... My current award is free as it is for all people in the county doing it through the LEA. Maybe worth finding out if yours has any programmes running that you can apply to go on as then you will have their support and get to know the people in your LEA that would benefit... I have found that it is more of who you know and not what you know which has helped me turn my department around without spending money.

3. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

No, the SENCo award is continuing - and amazingly it is fully fuded still. I am just about to start in May!

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think the issue is post May although Heads were encouraged to 'nominate' colleagues before the end of this month ( when in theory the fees were to be cut ) for co horts starting in September so at to secure all the funding . Good Luck !

5. Anyone any clearer on what the consequences are for SENCos who do not want to undertake the training within the three years?

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

In my LA I have heard Primary colleagues have been asked if they have the accreditation when applying for a SENco post . I am Secondary and doubt that ths will happen at this phase . I can't see implications for those who do not decide to pursue particularly as the funding will not ba ' given ' although with redundancie on the cads those who have it may fare better than those who don't ????

7. I am currently in the middle of the course and have been told by my provider that the funding has 'run out' for any new groups. They were given enough for a certain amount of places and once they are taken thats it. There are two cohorts behind mine, the last starting in Feb. They do not think they will be running any more fully funded courses in my area.

8. Hello

I have started the SENCO course.. do you have any advice from how to manage the work load. I have also started my module 1 and was wondering what the expectations are for the assignment . I am a quarter of the way through of reeasrching and writing., Do you have an example of an assignment that I can take a look at so I know what I need to do. If you can help please email sparkle1978@live.com