1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO and SEN allowance

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MEG25, Jan 21, 2016.

1. MEG25

MEG25 New commenter

I have been SEN shadow for 3 years now and in recent months the SENCO stepped down from her post and the deputy head took over as inclusion manager. I have carried on as before but am wondering am I entitled to the SEN allowance as I am the only one in school with the SEN qualification? If I am the only person in school with this am I the SENCO? And are school just saving money by not paying me?
    I take on data analysis, tracking, paperwork, ANP reviews, provision mapping and chairing meetings.

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

You have the questions to ask in your post.

The Head or relevant deputy. Who to approach? Probably the Head if your serious.

You can make use of your experience to apply to other schools. Will they want to pay you to stay or advertise?

What would you do if they don't want to pay you but want you to continue?

You need to be very clear as to what you want and what you would do, with each of the possible outcomes.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I could be wrong but I suspect you are only ' entitled ' to what someone is ' prepared 'to offer. I undertstand why it made sense for you and the school for you to shadow and then complete the SENCO accreditation. I don 't think labels or names matter ( re does this make me the SENCO ? ) . In a former life I was Head of Curriculum Support with a very specific brief and I worked alongside the Inclusion Manager - again with a very specific brief . It was a very expensive model but necessary at the time re everything we needed to achieve. You say what you do but don't say what you don't do ? Perhaps the school perceives your role as a safe pair of hands re paperwork and information giving but not on leading and managing provision ? What do your PM targets relate to ? The school has obviously invested in you re CPD but may think this is sufficient ? There is a lot to be said for being happy in your job even without the financial renumeration you think you merit and of course you have a qualification which may provide you with opportunities in SEND elsewhere.

Yoda- likes this.