1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by playfs, Sep 8, 2017.

1. playfs

playfs New commenter

Hi

I'm not actually asking as a teacher (I teach secondary) I'm asking of a parent. My daughter has just gone into year 3 and we have just recently had an assessment with an occupational therapist and now have a diagnosis of significant processing difficulty. We have been battling with the school to take her needs on board since reception but they have been adamant there is nothing wrong as she is not behind in her school work and presents herself as 'fine' at school. I have asked on a number of occasions for a one page profile for her and always been told that they don't see it to be necessary and we are still on the massive waiting list for the ADOS.

My question is now were have a diagnosis what should I expect the school to do? We have an 8 page report with recommendations for home and school, including equipment for her. And before I go into my meeting with the SENCO next week I just wanted to get my head around what i need to ask about.

Thanks in advance.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Did the OT diagnose sensory processing difficulties?

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Ok what would you like the school to do? What do you think would benefit your child the most?What difference do you think a one page profile would make to your child's progress. Think about what is necessary for the child to continue to make progress, look at the report and pick out the areas which will make this possible and see if the school is will to implement them.Don't ask for everything ask for the essentials. I've had reports from other professionals which in the ideal world we would all like to include but it just isn't possible.

playfs, Pomz and Sundaytrekker like this.
  4. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

I'm sure you are aware that the ADOS test, explores the possibility of Autism. It is well documented that this condition can be skillfully masked by girls who will often present as 'fine' at school. I would suggest that you have a think about her strengths and difficulties in the 4 SEN areas - Communication and Interaction; Cognition and Learning; Social Emotional and Mental Health and Physical and Sensory. Once you have identified her needs in these areas, talk to the SENCo and discuss targets and the provision that she needs in order to achieve them. You could perhaps consider doing a one page profile with her yourself to take along to the meeting. This might cover such areas as what she thinks she is good at, what she likes about herself and what she thinks others think about her, what helps her at school, what does a good day/ bad day look like, what is important to her, and what are her future aspirations. Good luck!

ClearAutism and playfs like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

A child's needs at school can be very different to those at home. Clearly you see her at home and she has difficulties that prevent her achieving what you'd like at home. Now you have this report, presumably there are all kinds of ideas you can use at home to improve things for her there.

If your daughter is having no problems at school, I can't for the life of me see what else the school could do anyway. Whatever they have been doing until now would appear to be just right for your daughter. Leave them to carry on as they have been, it's clearly working well.

Pomz, digoryvenn and alexanderosman like this.
  6. playfs

playfs New commenter

No, far from working well. My daughter is brilliant at appearing fine to everyone as she masks it, but inside she is a mess. It's only once she is with me that she can let the frustration and confusion of the day out. If the school did more to acknowledge this her enjoyment of school and her learning would improve no end. And whats more we would have time to do nice things as a family rather then just helping her pick up the pieces form the week. I think the thing to remember is that just because a child seems fine it does not actually mean they are.

alexanderosman likes this.
  7. playfs

playfs New commenter

Thank you, your reply has been a great help. Wish more people would recognise that girls are masters of disguise! I will do a one page profile of our own and 3 weeks since the meeting the school are dragging their heels!

8. playfs

playfs New commenter

yes, sensory processing disorder.