1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCo accreditation - how is it going?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Sarah C, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Just re-reading some old threads, and wondering how everyone is getting on several months into the course? I think I am beginning to finally understand what is expected, and think it might be achievable!

2. Just re-reading some old threads, and wondering how everyone is getting on several months into the course? I think I am beginning to finally understand what is expected, and think it might be achievable!

3. billandsplodge

billandsplodge New commenter

Haven't started yet and my HT keeps advising me to put it off!

4. Fuzzybrainjo

Fuzzybrainjo New commenter

Just finished mine at the end of january!! Lots of hard work and really glad it's over, don't know if I've passed yet.

5. Hurray! handed my portfolio in on Friday! fingers crossed it is the required standard, how is everyone else doing?
    Any news on those that will not be doing it?

6. Hiya, I have support from my HT to do this in preparation to take on a SEN role in the future. Is there any reading or anything I can do beforehand?

Thanks in advance.

7. The book I wish I'd bought at the start of the course is
    Hallett, F and Hallett, G (Ed.) 2010 Transforming the Role of the SENCO: Achieving the National Award for SEN Co-ordination. Open University Press chapters on a whole range of things, written at the right level for masters study, by different contributors.
    Also I wish I'd got to grips with proper Harvard (or whatever your have to use) referencing from the outset - I spent ages sorting out my references!
    Good luck!

8. HI ,
    Took up new Inclusion Leader role today, start NASENCO course next week. Thanks for book recommendation, ordered it tonight! Do I sound a bit TOO enthusiastic?

9. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Fiona Hallett used to be the Programme Leader for NASCO for Edge Hill. I am sure she would be delighted that someone has appreciated her work in supporting SENCos on this course.

10. I have been teaching five years now and REALLY would like to train for a SENCo role. Could you please advise me the best route to take. I quite fancy distance learning, maybe OU Is this possible? Any suggestions would be fantastic. I live in the Surrey area, if that makes any difference at all.
    Thank you all.

11. Wotton

Wotton Occasional commenter

You need to be in the job or about to take it up to get the funding. Also in order to complete the assignments etc you need to be in the job. Ther are many online providers don't think the ou is one. Serch for a list online , TDA had one but since they are no longer around I don't know who will carry it.

12. It seems like you are in the same role that I am. I also am conducting the course and started writing the assignments and all thereading. I understand what I need to do and have chosen my titles. However I was wondering if you would be willing to share your assignments with me so that i can see the expectations of what needs to be conducted. I myself have found my tutor not to be very helpful so that is why I am asking for help if possible. email is sparkle1978@live.com if possible..