1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN vs. support

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by loars83, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hi, I am in a new post working in the SEN dept at an all-girls school. I am working alongside another new member of staff and are creating this dept pretty much from scratch as there has not previously been an SEN dept.
    We have many students who are on the SEN register but are achieving A/B's but have got private diagnosis for dyslexia/slow processing skills etc. They are entitled to extra time in exams etc. Then we also have girls who are really weak and have no specific difficulties. In our first term we have created support opportunities for a wide range of girls to try and boost their grades. However, there is a lack of support from the main staff as the list of girls we are supporting is extremely long and not all the girls are 'SEN'.
    What do people think we should be doing?? Are we going in the right direction?? Our view is that we are here to help as many students as we can! The fear is that the SEN register becomes too unwieldy and this may shoot us in the foot when Ofsted arrive?!? (due very soon too!! [​IMG] )
    Sorry for the lengthy message but any ideas from other schools would be greatly apprciated!!

2. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

You need to look at your criteria for placement on the Additional Needs Record. You describe students who are weak . U need to be more specific and then ensure that these students are being accommodated in the classroom. Yes interventions which are tailored to individual need are essential but I suspect that your staff need to be more proactive in making reasonable adjustments to their teaching repertoire and this will have implications for training and a whole school response to students who need support.