1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN Tool Box

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by bigred74, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Can anyone recommend any useful intervention programmes for both English and Maths? (Junior School)

We have AR/AW, rapid reading and some precision teaching but that is about it.

Thank you.

2. Hi bigred,
    sorry me again I use the Apha to Omega spelling programme. As I am in KS3 I skip some of the earlier sections on alphabet and with some students once I have established the elements of short and long vowels sounds some other sections in stage 1. But, think this is a great progamme.

3. We use 'Fresh Start' for our Y5 pupils who have fallen behind with literacy. It comes from 'Read Write Inc. I also find it really useful for EAL pupils.
    Sound Discovery is good for teaching phonic skills for reading and writing.
    For maths we use the Sandwell Early maths assessment and then fill in the gaps in the children's knowledge using games that I got when I attended the 'Unicorn maths' course in London with Sarah Wedderburn. We are also looking at 'Big Maths' as an intervention. Very good for a small step breakdown of the building blocks of maths.
    Hope this helps