1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN Toilet Training Year 1

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by vicvac, May 5, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have an SEN child in my class who was in nappies but since Easter we have started toilet training. But although she is put on the toilet regularly she never goes there and when she wets herself she doesn't seem to mind or tell anyone. Some days she holds on all day which can't be good for her.
    Has anyone got any suggestions on how to encourage her to go use the toilet?
    Im an NQT with no children of my own so don't have much experience toilet training.

Thank you

2. Hi
    I have an SEN child in my class who was in nappies but since Easter we have started toilet training. But although she is put on the toilet regularly she never goes there and when she wets herself she doesn't seem to mind or tell anyone. Some days she holds on all day which can't be good for her.
    Has anyone got any suggestions on how to encourage her to go use the toilet?
    Im an NQT with no children of my own so don't have much experience toilet training.

Thank you

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Is she wearing nappies when she wets herself? If so, she may not actually notice that she is wet. Modern disposables really do keep the child dry.

Do you have a nurse attached to the school? She may not come in regularly but there should be one that works with your children and their families, they usually take over from the health visitor and organise the routine medical screening of puipls. She should be a really helpful source of local support and advice. She'd probably set up the programme for you and liaise between home and school.

4. Nope she's not wearing nappies now. She doesn't seem to mind. I only realised she had wet herself on the carpet when a kid yelled "There's lots of water".
    I will try to find out about a nurse.
    Thanks