1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN teaching in International Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jamief89, Sep 10, 2020.

1. jamief89

jamief89 New commenter

I am looking to begin my career in International Schools in the 21-22 academic year. I'm a British teacher with 6 years experience, half of that has been in SEN schools in the UK, the other half teaching ESL in a language center and bilingual school in Ho Chi Minh.

I know that some of the international schools in Ho Chi Minh have learning support departments, which I will be applying to. I am also interested in other locations as well, if anyone has any recommendations of schools or locations, that would be much appreciated. I'm not interested in the Middle East or China, but I'm open to anywhere else.

I am currently in the UK, working in SEN schools on supply. Would love any tips or advice on how to secure a job in this area. I have a lot of experience in SEN schools and related CPD, however I do not have any additional SEN specific qualifications. I've noticed that some of the schools in Ho Chi Minh stipulate a Masters as a requirement, would it be worth doing one? I am also considering getting a membership for ISS Schrole or Search Associates, would like to hear about peoples experiences of either. Thanks!

2. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

I think many international schools have some sort of SEN/Learning Support department so it might be a case of researching individual schools in different locations. I'm in Bangkok and several schools here have decent SEN provision and a few are excellent.

However, in my experience there are only one or two foreigners recruited on expat deals and then the rest of the learning support staff are locals/other Asians on much lower salaries. Certainly true in my school.

Some leadership experience would be helpful but I suppose you're unlikely to get that doing supply. Being able to offer both ESL and SEN is a bonus, though. In some schools there is only one department that includes both these areas but even if they're separate, you're effectively offering two 'subjects' and that could go in your favour.

jamief89 likes this.
  3. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

With your background, you stand a very good chance of picking up an inclusion teacher post in the UAE, but I note that is not a place you want to go.