1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN Teaching Assistant role 11-19 years

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by InfraRed2015, Oct 4, 2015.

1. InfraRed2015

InfraRed2015 New commenter

Hey all

I am looking at applying for the above job role and I wondered if I could get a bit of advice.
    I am 32 and have a PGCE to teach Art and Design to ages 16 +. In 2008 I did my placement in a college and was hired as a part time instructor to teach with other duties such as classroom support for teachers and technician style duties. I stayed there until 2011 and then landed an amazing full time role in 2012 as a pastoral learning mentor for another further education college. During my time here I was promoted to a dual role of learning mentor and personal tutor. I left in 2014 when I began a part time Masters course in Art Therapy. I didn't want to leave the college but my contract wouldn't allow me to drop a day to travel to University to study. I have also had about 6 months experience as an adult mental health support worker in the past year. I forgot to mention that my only experience with children is when I ran a creative arts workshop for children between 5 and 10. Other than that, I have never worked with schoolchildren below 16-apart from looking after my nieces.

I really want to get back into working in an educational environment; I also think that working with SEN could assist me in my own personal learning and that my studies would help my job role, especially as I have seen so many case studies where art therapy has helped children with SEN.

I just wondered do I stand a chance at getting an interview? I love helping young people and seeing the progress they make.

Thank you :)

2. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I don't see you struggling.