1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN teaching assistant apprenticeship help!! please

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by eddie_21, Jun 20, 2019.

1. eddie_21

eddie_21 New commenter

i don't even know if this is on the right board but next week i have a interview at a SEN school and for the interview i have to bring a story and resources to share with a small group of children and i have no idea where to even start !! what kind of resources should i bring and how should i use them with a story ? any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

2. kjled6

kjled6 New commenter

Hi I work in an SEN school. I think they’ll probably look for how you make the story accessible for children who might not just respond to listening to it. For example if you did a jungle themed book you could bring different animals to pass round talk about how they feel etc. So choose your book then go through each page and think of objects to bring would be my suggestion. Good luck !

eddie_21 likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Choose a book you are familiar with and enjoy - one where you know the story well, so that you are confident and can read it with the expression needed to hold the children's interest. You could show the resources first and see if the children can think what the story might be - e.g. fruit, for 'Handa's Surprise'. Plan some questions you might ask to check understanding of the story. Another idea might be to photocopy and laminate pictures from the story and use these after you have read it to see if the children can sequence and retell it. It would need to be a very simple story - much will depend on the ages and levels of the children.
    What the observers will really be looking at is the way you interact with the children. Best of luck with the interview!

eddie_21 likes this.
  4. eddie_21

eddie_21 New commenter

thank you for all the help!!! in the end i worried for nothing as I was offered an apprenticeship with a different school before this interview took place, if i interview again for a SEN school this will definitely be very useful so thanks!!

kjled6 likes this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations! Well done, you must have done very well at your interview - competition is tough for apprenticeships at schools. I've mentored several apprentices now; the majority have done very well and gone on to secure permanent TA posts. Enjoy your new adventure!

eddie_21 likes this.