1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN Teacher Training/AS

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by fishmayfly, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm afraid I can't answer all of your questions but thought I would help with the ones I can.
    1. There is no compulsory training needed to work in a special school, all you need is QTS which you will get if you complete the PGCE successfully. I know this because I went straight from my PGCE to a teaching post as an NQT in a special school and I do not have any extra qualifications. I have received a lot of training from my school once I was in post.
    2. Do not know about other countries
    3. A school cannot refuse entry to a student who has SEN but no statement. If the student has a statement the school cannot refuse entry to the parents' preferred school unless...
    <font face="SymbolMT">
    • the school is unsuitable to the child's age, ability, aptitude or SEN
    • the child's attendance at the school would be incompatible with the efficient education of the other children in the school; or
    • the child's attendance would be incompatible with the efficient use of resources
    This is from the SEN code of practice.
    4. From my personal experience, most children with Asperger's Symdrome attend mainstream school although I do not know the statistics for this. Lots of children with Autistic Spectrum Conditions have attended the special schools I have worked in but most students with AS have a higher cognitive ability and so are more likely to attend mainstream schools. Again, I do not know what the situation is in other countries.
    Hope that helps
    </font><font size="3" face="TimesNewRoman"></font>

2. MrGator

MrGator New commenter

Hi zmarie,

Hopefully I can point you in the right direction on a few of your points;

1) There is no compulsory training other than a teaching qualification, resulting in QTS required for teaching in SEN education or special schools. Any additional training/courses, especially those looking at communication, diagnosis and interventions would be looked on favourably by schools. This is something that you would look at when in a teaching post.

2) With regards to a school refusing pupils due to SEN, it is illegal to refuse entry solely because of the SEN status. However, schools can only be expected to make 'reasonable' changes to improve physical access to buildings. If a school/LA believes that a parent's preference is unsuitable for the child's age, aptitude or SEN then they can, legally, refuse admission.

MrGator

3. Hi there,

I'm really interested in gaining more understanding about SEN training in areas such as communication and I also will be starting my PGCE in Sept.

With reference to the "additional training/courses, especially those looking at communication, diagnosis and interventions would be looked on favourably by schools", would these be courses that could be paid for once you're in a teaching role? Such as ELKLAN?

I can't help but feel that it may be difficult to get on these courses and it would depend on the Head, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you recommend anything that could be done before starting in a teaching role please? I am trying to gain lots of varied experience, working with children from 3-11, of different needs. How advantageous is it to be qualified in BSL?

Thanks very much