1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN TA salary in an Independent School

Discussion in 'Independent' started by AlwaysAmber, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Dear all,
    I have a dilemma and I’d be so grateful for any advice.
    I qualified as a Level 3 SEN TA last summer and was immediately offered a SEN TA position at the Independent school where I had my placement.
    I was told that the salary could only be £11k as that was all the Local Authority were paying for full time support.
    I took the role, thinking that as an NQTA it was my best bet.
    Fast forward 18 months and I’m still on £11k, but am responsible for completing my 1-1s EHCP and the LA Review at the end of the year, I also support class lessons and am on break duty every day.
    Don’t get me wrong - I adore my job. The children are gorgeous and the staff lovely. BUT, during a conversation today with a friend who’s child is supported by a SEN TA in a state school I discovered that state schools are obliged to ‘top up’ the standard £11k funds to match a standard TA’s salary depending on grade
    I am graded as a S3 which should put me on between £15-£17k.
    But where do I stand working at an Independent school? I’d love to stay there, but I really do need more money. Childcare costs alone mean I’m really not left with much, added to which I genuinely feel I’m worth more.
    The whole staff were told last year that there wasn’t money in the coffers for a pay rise, so I know I can’t just go in and demand one off the cuff.
    Is there anyone out there who works as a SEN TA in an independent school? If so, would you be happy to tell me your salary and whether your school tops up the LA funded amount? Or is there a support line or website that I can ask?
    I’m sorry - this is has turned into a bit of an essay, but I’m at a loss as to know who to ask for advice.
    Thank you so much in advance. XX

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Independent schools are independent and are not obliged to follow any pay structure or policies/guidelines of state schools. What state schools may or may not do, isn't relevant. I would be surprised if your friend would have any idea about the pay of the TA supporting her child. Pay arrangements certainly aren't something to be shared with parents.

If no-one has had a pay rise, then the school isn't in a position to pay more. They just can't afford it. They might love to pay you another 4-6 grand a year, but if they don't have the money then they don't have it. End of story.

There is no point finding out what other schools do or don't do. Some independents probably pay someone doing your job £6000 and others pay £20 000, it depends on the financial state of the school.

The only advice, if you want to earn more, is to find a new job in a state school or an independent with more disposable cash.

3. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

It might be worth asking for help here;
    https://www.educationsupportpartnership.org.uk/resources/factsheets/career-progression-education
    The phone number is at the top of the screen.
    Are you on a term time only contract? In terms of maintained schools' payment, there is additional payment for SEN TAs on top of the national scales (as there are for bilingual TAs whose language is used as part of their work).
    Also check that you are claiming everything that you can. On your low income you should qualify for tax credits and probably rent rebates.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What happens in maintained schools is of no relevance to the OP because they are in an independent school.

Similarly TLR/SEN allowances for teachers and pay rises and the like. What happens in state has no relevance in independents and, indeed, what happens in one independent has no relevance in another.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

It is relevant if she is contemplating moving because her salary is too low to support herself and her family (although I think that she is just trying to get clear in her mind what the situation is).

6. install

install Star commenter

Sounds like you need to look at your options but be careful the grass is not always greener :cool: