1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN TA classroom non-negotiables?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by b00kw0rm, Jan 28, 2016.

1. b00kw0rm

b00kw0rm New commenter

I'm a primary school SENCO. Looking at strategies to improve our SEND provision as we have quite a lot of temp staff with minimal/ varied qualifications & experince.
    Do you have or have suggestions for a list of SEN TA non negotiables in terms of their classroom practice, resources provided etc?
    I have provided training and guidance on working with ASD children, those with speech and language difficulties and more, provided templates and master copies of visual aids etc. and guidance on use, but am still a little frustrated when completing learning walks that little of this seems to be transferred to practice. I appreciate there won't be a one size fits all!

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I would suggest having them observing or being trained in a SEN school. I came from mainstream with some SEN students but only when I moved to special did I see how those resources were actually used. We get TAs and teachers from other schools in to observe our practice and most of them are happy after a day because they have seen the strategies and resources being modelled on actual children and having a chance to talk to people who use the strategies and resources every day.
    I think teachers should be trained too. Last year I did a 6 weeks placement in a mainstream year 1 class with a global delay student. The teacher was lovely and very experienced but she had not really an idea what to do with him.

Ideally every teacher and TA should have some understanding of PECS, Makaton, use of visuals, use of limited language, sensory diets and behaviour strategies. But I think just being given these things is not enough.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don't see the point in addressing training needs - staff and additional adults and then not making people accountable ? Anything you do in terms of CPD needs to be backed up with monitoring, observation, evaluation and feedback and crucially action.Just telling people what to do is not enough. You have a responsibilty to ensure those children are not marginalised by their need. The CoP has always alluded to practioners making reasonable adjustments to their teaching ( staff ) and TAs supporting learning so all benefit from training ( needs led ) . The revised CoP has highlighted that staff ( teaching and non ) are responsible for delivering inclusive learning and teaching strategies ( eg MLD , SpLD , ASC , BEMH ) so children are the recipients of best practice and the gap between those who traditionally do well at school and those who do not is closed. I produced an online Handbook to which all staff could refer when meeting / providing for a range of need . What it is / how to recognise / how to help ....with staf turn over being as you suggest your setting may benefit from having something like this so all staff are enabled. Happy to send you a copy if you want to PM me. It may help given your circumstances. I would also stress that the effective deployment of TAs is down to the staff so re your non negotiables - this should be led by class teachers and you need to know in advance what this should look like.

4. b00kw0rm

b00kw0rm New commenter

Many thanks, appreciate your comments

5. muncher444

muncher444 New commenter

I would really appreciate a copy of what you provided to enable staff's awareness. Very proactive. My email is macleanbridget444@gmail.com. I have just been offered a middle teacher role to enhance the SEN side of an Academy in special measures.

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Is it wise to identify yourself with your email address and Username?

I suggest you contact TES to have the post removed and change your Username.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Muncher - material sent . Book worm - can you 'conversation' me an e mail add add ?
    Yoda has a point. Always best to use the ' conversation / message ' facility but maybe new members are not familar with this ? Cheers

8. Alisonalisheen

Alisonalisheen New commenter

Dear Minnie me. I would like a copy of what you reference above. Is there a way that I can pass my details to you?

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I shall conversation you . You can access that and we can take it from there

tredders likes this.