1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN Support or SEN Monitored?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by zyxabc, Nov 14, 2016.

1. zyxabc

zyxabc New commenter

Hi all,

I'm a new SENCo and one of my first tasks has been to create a SEN register (the filing and organisation was all over the place-I'm sure my predecessor knew who was SEN Support but no-one else seemed to). As I've dug deeper and created a list of children who have Learning Plans etc I've come to the conclusion that possibly not all children are SEN Support.

I understand that it is up to us, as a school, to create our own criteria for SEN Support but I'm struggling to know where to start with this. I think there has been a culture within school to automatically put Low Achieving children down as SEN and I feel that a few of them are not, but I need to clarify this.

Does anyone have any advice on how to define which children should be SEN Support? And, equally, who should be classed as SEN Monitored? If a child is having Speech and Language Therapy for instance, but academically are achieving in school-are the SEN Support?

I feel I may be making this process more complicated than it needs to be but it's the one area that feels particularly 'foggy!'

Thanks in advance.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think schools have often struggled with the rationale for placing students on the SEND record. Your starting point would be to draft a model for QFT ( in conjunction with a T and L group for example ) so staff know exactly what they are doing ( strategies / approaches ) in class to accommodate most of the children most of the time. This may certainly involve delivering additional training / raising awareness but makes all accountable and responsible and provides a blueprint / benchmark for provision. Remember too that this involves a huge amount of funding ( salary ) so should meet with success ! Those children who need to be identified for support would be not 'achieving' ( open to interpretation ) when exposed consistently to this model and which fits in with the ' additional / different ' approach. (Important that your ARR schedule monitors the ' progress ' of all students and then would trigger action if necessary so am not sure why you would need a ' monitoring ' category ? kind of so what ? in my view ) .Your policy documents are fundamental to getting this right and as long as they are transparent and comprehensive and rationalise / justify your practice I don't think it matters what terms you use ? I would be concerned that your focus is just on having ( any ) children ' achieving academically ' . Children need to display a range of wider attributes / characteristics to function although I acknowledge this is hard to ' test ' and so often ignored. Lastly you need to consider if the lower attaining students are making progress commensurate with their ability by accessing routine classroom practice or if they are 'falling behind' due to poor / inferior teaching ? Any intervention you identify and deliver must be time limited. Hope this helps

zyxabc likes this.
  3. zyxabc

zyxabc New commenter

Thank you. That is very helpful. The 'monitoring' category may be a county term as I've heard it mentioned lots by professionals locally. I think for me, in my school, it would mean those children that are being identified by staff as having low SS or making poor progress and them initially being given short term focussed intervention aimed at closing the gap-whilst this was taking place they would be 'monitored.' If, after 2 cycles of the Graduated Approach we would then looks at if they are SEN Support.

Thank you for raising the other areas of SEN (not just academic progress/attainment). You are right, this is an important area and I acknowledge is something I will need to look into.

I have a meeting with the rest of SLT tomorrow to start deciding on our criteria so this has been a grea help-thank you.