1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN support and tuition

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Luckyannie33, May 6, 2017.

1. Luckyannie33

Luckyannie33 New commenter

Hi everyone, I am a SEN professional and a parent of children with SEN; I'm in need of advice. Please could you visit my website: https://amchomesen.wixsite.com/mysen
    I am looking to reach out to families and I provide FREE advice via email and I need feedback in regards to my website. I am also seeking to ascertain if there is a need for such services within Surrey and Hampshire.

Thank you all for your time.

2. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

There are lots of grammar and punctuation errors in your website which makes it difficult to read in places.

3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Just a few proofreading observations:
    * Plural of EHCP = EHCPs rather than EHCP's
    * "I have received numerous training within my job roles": consider substituting "extensive" for "numerous".
    * "I completed a course on SEN Law to help myself to complete a parental request": consider using the verb "complete" only once in the sentence; sorry if this sounds pedantic. There are other examples of repetition, e.g. the overuse of "book" as a verb in your FAQs section.

You use plenty of acronyms (ODD, SLT etc). Having worked as a special educational needs teacher in a mainstream school, I know how easy it is to slip into terminological shorthand. Always spell out what the acronym stands for first time round.

It does help to insert a blank line between paragraphs and to keep paragraphs as short as possible. Consider using bullet points to convey vital information.

In some places your text sounds a bit like a CV to be submitted to a professional committee of job interviewers. If you are addressing parents of children with AEN/SEN, change this tone to suit your audience. You clearly have skills, knowledge and experience to share; it's just a matter of passing on that information to a non-professional population who may harbour greater anxieties than their children do!

You might make more of your obvious interest and qualifications in SEN Law. Consider (a) explaining what the SEN tribunal is all about and (b) devising some fictional case studies to illustrate how people avail themselves of this service for the benefit of their children. Make more too of the need to collaborate with others, e.g. educational psychologists, SENCos, in the interests of the child so that the Tribunal is really a final resort.

I'll leave it there for the present.

Tinycat1234 likes this.