1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN secondary nurture to primary nurture.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by bikermum39, Jun 30, 2018.

1. bikermum39

bikermum39 New commenter

I am about to have an interview to run 2 nurture groups as lead teacher for KS1 and KS2. I am very experienced with KS3 but am unsure about the primary curriculum. I suppose what I am saying is I know how far my secondary pupils are away from targets set by the primary school when they come in to year 7. Is there any websites that set out what the government requirements for 'average' ability are for keystage 2 and 1? What should a pupil be able to do by what year in primary?!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Isn’t the rationale about the nurture approach more about a flourishing curriculum ? Perhaps the interview will want to explore your expertise in this area ?

3. bikermum39

bikermum39 New commenter

I find more and more now days that schools expect children in a nurture group to be taught exactly the same as their peers with the added social/emotional stuff, but differentiated. In secondary they still have academic targets and I think this may be the same in the primary school that employs a teacher rather than a teaching assistant (as is more usual). I am very experienced at adapting curriculums into nurturing lessons, but I need to know the baseline so that I know where we are aiming for! To be honest I tend to do lots more family time and gardening type lessons. Sadly like so many nurture groups in our area the lovely secondary unit I run is being closed due to financial cuts.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well, Good Luck with your interview. I suppose that the Primary should be congratulated on proposing this model. Schools are obsessed with target setting - madness - but not inclined to modify their practice so that the children and the families cope with the demands of the curriculum. Many children I taught perceived education as a race they could never win ? I wrote up a casestudy about a programme we trialled in our KS3 Base helping some very challenged and challenging ( mostly ) boys become more emotionally adept at leaving their emotional / behavioural ' baggage ' at the classroom door but we had so many students of this nature to accommodate so huge emphasis on a whole school approach too. Perhaps if you post on Primary some kind colleagues will furnish you with the info you need ?