1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN school interview

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by emloulew, Mar 20, 2016.

1. emloulew

emloulew New commenter

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice, I'm interviewing for an SEN teaching post this coming week been given the brief to teach a 20min number lesson to three year 5 /6 pupils working at yr 1 /2 level.
    I want to make the lesson as practical as possible. I'm thinking at the minute of focussing on number bonds beginning with to 10 and possibly to 20, using skittles to have the children count the number fallen and number standing and show me the number pairs on cards or by writing??

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Is this in a mainstream school or an SEN school? Do the pupils have any other needs? (e.g. VI, physical, hearing, etc)

3. emloulew

emloulew New commenter

Its an SEN school, the brief does not outline any other needs although I have emailed the school to ask.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

If it is a special school for students with SLD / PMLD I'd keep the lesson very practical and be prepared to adapt it down over if your initial assessment of the students suggest it is too hard.
    Have you any idea of the P levels the children are working at? That would give you a better idea of where to pitch things.

5. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I am not sure about this activity when you don't know the kids well. It may end up that the skittles (repositioning them etc) end up a complete distraction from the teaching and you need to show your teaching. That would be my concern.

6. cliff0T

cliff0T New commenter

I am converting, next term, from a mainstream Head of Maths & Computing to teaching at a special school. I think your idea sounds very good. I would get the pupils to show with number cards rather than writing. For my interview lesson I took pictures using an ipad that was provided then used them in the plenary. Hope this helps

7. cabracken31

cabracken31 New commenter

Hi everyone I am teaching a 20 min lesson for a Y1/2 class for interview this week and was wanting any advice on it? It's for an Autism (mild) school. I was thinking of reading Handa's Surprise then talking about the fruit and animals- using adjectives to describe them. As it is a 20 min session, I want to make it as effective as possibly but not have a big activity that they won't be able to complete in the time given? I have already visited the school, so feel more at ease as what to expect. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Cathy

8. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Hi Cabracken - have you already emailed me about this? I had an email from someone this week planning a Handa's surprise sensory story for an interview. :) If it wasn't you, I'm happy to help and I can put you in touch with someone else in the same situation as you! Hopefully not applying for the same job!

sensorystory@gmail.com :)

9. cabracken31

cabracken31 New commenter

Hi Jo, no I haven't must have been someone else. Thank you!