1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN qualifications

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by seagirl, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Quick question please..Does a newly appointed head in a very small school need to undertake the SEN qualification if they wish to undertake the role of Senco?

2. Quick question please..Does a newly appointed head in a very small school need to undertake the SEN qualification if they wish to undertake the role of Senco?

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

The head at a neighbouring school who is very experienced had to do the training when his senco left and the head took on the role. So as far as I know you do.

4. Recent legislation states that if you are a new SENCO (after 2008/9) you must do the SENCO National Award course. They are usually a one year part time course costing up to 2,500 pounds inc.vat. However, funding from Dept. of Training will enable free access to employed SENCO's. To do the course you must be employed or be sharing the role of SENCO. For SENCO's previous to 2008/9 it is advised to do the course. Most employers will expect the certificate from now on. The nest question would be who are the better providers?

5. Thank you for your helpful responses

6. As a new SENCO, are you able to answer your own question? I will need to be enrolled on a course this September and any comments/advice would be most welcome.

7. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

I am an experienced SENCo who really wanted to do the course but the training on offer from my LA was very poorly organised with very little support and most teachers left the course - some at the initial meeting. In my pyramid the 6 experienced SENCos formed a support group but gradually we all left the course. A new SENCo in the area has passed the course but did admit she didn't actually learn anything new or useful! She said it was hard work on top of a days teaching and getting to grips with SEN input/paperwork/etc.
    A Head teacher in a different LA explained to me he would not be swayed by the qualification when employing a teacher - he would want someone who could do the job.
    At the minute theremust be very few teachers with the qualification as most started work before 2008.
    Be very careful when selecting a course - I would want to talk to other teachers who have passed the qualification with that supplier before starting it.

8. Thanks, jlishman, for the advice. Unfortunately all the SENCOs I know are already in the job so don't need to do the qualification but, because I'm new to the post, I have to do it. Which LA were you in, and which college was running the course? At least, I'll know one to steer clear of.

9. I would love to mention the providers but unfortunately TES rules forbid naming institutions. Maybe if you care to send me a message i may share what I know.

10. Mr Chips, I have sent you a message. Thanks.

11. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

I'm in Northumberland and we were with Edgehill.
    Others seem to have had a very different experience so maybe we were just unlucky!