1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN point - backpay?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by _teacher90_, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I teach a class consisting entirely of statemented pupils and have done for a number of years but have never received SEN point 1, which I think I am entitled to in this post.
    Can anyone confirm if they think this is the case and whether I would be entitled to this pay back-dated to when I took on this post?

Many thanks.

2. I teach a class consisting entirely of statemented pupils and have done for a number of years but have never received SEN point 1, which I think I am entitled to in this post.
    Can anyone confirm if they think this is the case and whether I would be entitled to this pay back-dated to when I took on this post?

Many thanks.

3. Presumably when you took up this post you were quite aware of the pay offered and were happy to accept it?
    The setting where you work presumably has a staffing and pay structure into which you fit. If that structure does not have your post rated to have an SEN point, then I do not think you can realistically expect to get one.
    You can ask your employer to consider this issue, but they may be feel obliged to agree with you.

4. If this is an <u>entitlement</u> based on STPCD is it not appropriate that I receive it, regardless of whether it was offered at the time I took the post?

5. I think the relevant para is 25 in section 2 of STPCD. Have a look at that and see if you think any of the criteria apply to your situation. If so then approach your HT with your case clearly set out in writing. From my reading of STPCD this is a mandatory entitlement and you may be entitled to have any allowance backdated.
    If you get nowhere with your employer you might want to think about taking advice form your union at county or national level.