1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN: overview...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by soja10, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

am doing my PGCE (secondary) atm and I need to write an assignment about SEN. I think I've done enough research and I have structured my thoughts...Can anyone just please confirm that my "summary" is correct?

- legislation for SEN currently is: The Education (Special Education Needs) (England) Regulations 2001 (found online on legislation.gov.uk)

- the "interpretation" of the legislation is the "SEN Code of Practice" 2001 (where graduated response to SEN with School Action, SA+ etc is explained)
    Is this current, most current legislation? Or has anything major changed? I am aware of the Equality Act 2010 that basically "only" stresses the importance of non-discrimination in schools...
    Anything else in terms of legislation that I missed?
    Many thanks:)

2. Hi guys,

am doing my PGCE (secondary) atm and I need to write an assignment about SEN. I think I've done enough research and I have structured my thoughts...Can anyone just please confirm that my "summary" is correct?

- legislation for SEN currently is: The Education (Special Education Needs) (England) Regulations 2001 (found online on legislation.gov.uk)

- the "interpretation" of the legislation is the "SEN Code of Practice" 2001 (where graduated response to SEN with School Action, SA+ etc is explained)
    Is this current, most current legislation? Or has anything major changed? I am aware of the Equality Act 2010 that basically "only" stresses the importance of non-discrimination in schools...
    Anything else in terms of legislation that I missed?
    Many thanks:)