1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN or Choice?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ChanChan123, Feb 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

I've recently been promoted to Senco at my children's centre (woo!). I'm taking over from someone who was Senco for a long time and maybe had other priorities (boo).

I'm having a little bit of an issue with a child in our pre-school room, the room I'm based in. She has a formal diagnosis of autism although her PSHE skills are in line with her peers, etc. Her awareness of boundaries is also very good.

So onto the issue - hand washing! This particular child is ok to independently wash hands after using the toilet, before fruit and if they get messy ie paint or something else. But washing hands to line up for lunch is the most fractious time of the day. Sometimes there is a refusal to sit for a story before hand washing and lunch which then sets the tone but other days she will sit for story and still refuse to wash her hands, etc.

We however are in two minds whether this is choice or additional needs given that she will wash her hands at other times, no issue. We're also unsure whether there is an aspect of control because she is often the last to wash hands at mealtimes to try and make sure the bathroom is clear (avoiding a sensory overload) but often means that she has to be physically carried in order to wash her hands.

Its becoming a very draining part of the day because she then refuses to walk in the line or upstairs for meals.

Any ideas?!?

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Is it the lining up that us the problem? What would happen if she didn't have to walk in the line or stand around lining up?

Could lining up be interrupting the play or activity they were enjoying? Does lining up place her too close to other children for her comfort. Is it noisy or boisterous in any way?
    Are there other expectations you have for all children that she has difficulty with ( register time, story, singing, putting on a coat)?
    Are you getting any support from your SEND team ? What do parents say?
    It's worth getting to the bottom of why, because if children have a complete meltdown they can't learn anything and it exhausts you in the process.