1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN interview KS3 and 4 help please

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by shinobi50, Oct 16, 2018.

1. shinobi50

shinobi50 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I have an interview soon to teach a 20 minute lesson with students from P4-Early NC levels. I can teach anything. It will be either KS 3 or KS4 SLD/ASD. I have not had an interview in a long time, and so am very nervous. I have had an idea of starting with some bread tasting, talking about where it comes from (getting them to select photos of the local supermarket, and then talking about the ingredients. I thought about getting them to make ( or at least the initial stages of) some bread. (Checked G.F etc). I thought that one of the pupils could maybe take photos using an IPAD, and as a follow up activity making a large, class book with a visual representation of the recipe. I also thought about getting them to role-play 'buying' the ingredients to make it relevant to them (I would take them there personally if it were not an interview lesson.)

If anyone has any ideas please help...

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

That sounds a little complicated to me, also runs the risk of hitting a wall very early with unfamiliar students.

if you want to go the multi-sensory route, and on the topic of food, I recommend something a bit more basic and different ways of them recording responses.

For example, a lesson I used to run based around tinned fruit. Bring in 2 or 3, (possibly 4, but in 20mins 3 is enough!), different types of tinned fruit salad. Show them the tins, and ask them which one they think will taste the best and which the worst, just by looking at the label. If you can then stretch a few to give a reason why, that is useful. All of them could contribute either by ranking them with number cards, or writing numbers on a sheet, or verbally to you/TA.

Then the fun bit! Let them taste each one, but hide which tin each comes from! Then ask them them to rank them again, depending on which one they liked the taste of the most. Preparation wise, it is useful to have two sets of tins, one already opened and in bowls, and one unopened, so that you don't lose time preparing things. This is also time where you might lose the class, just as they should be getting really interested!

After that, show them which tin was which bowl of fruit, and see if their original assumptions were right/wrong.

In 20minutes you might get through it if you have time to prep the classroom first!