1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by savface, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Is it worth writing to special schools re: GTP. I have two years of experiences in a variety of special schools and have knowledge of TEACCH, PECS and Makaton. I've been told Reading do special needs GTP places, and I am going to look into more London based universities and see what they have to offer.
    What do you think?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It depends whether those schools have been involved in ITT in the past-you need to research before sending. Generally GTP has to have time in mainstream in order to meet National Curriculum and Key Phase standards. It varies around the country how much direct involvement the special schools do get. In my area special school trainees have to work in the mainstream for the majority of the training so there are reciprocal arrangements between the 2 sectors.

3. I am GTP in a SEN school. My provider requires me to have a 12 week placement rather than the usual 6 week one to fulfill my criteria - I am therefore having 3 placements of varying lengths in different schools. This then means that I qualify as a teacher the same as everyone else - the only difference being I have a job in a SEN school and more experience there. But I will be qualified to teach in mainstream.
    I don't think there are many schools that do this although I think that things are afoot to change this for SEN teachers. But nothing official yet (have spoken to the little birdy!)