1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN Governor

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Hallam001, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I am a newly appointed governor in a small primary school, and have agreed to oversee the SEN provision.

In the course of my google homework on the role, I have come across references to the need for an 'annual report' on SEN provision.

Can anyone tell me what form this report should/could take? A discrete report? Part of an annual report to governors/to parents?

Thanks for your help.

2. I am a newly appointed governor in a small primary school, and have agreed to oversee the SEN provision.

In the course of my google homework on the role, I have come across references to the need for an 'annual report' on SEN provision.

Can anyone tell me what form this report should/could take? A discrete report? Part of an annual report to governors/to parents?

Thanks for your help.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Hallam001, as far as I know there is no longer a requirement for the GB to produce an annual report on SEN for parents (or if there is none of the schools I've been a governor at are complying!).

When GBs were required to publish an annual report to parents and hold an annual meeting with parents they had to include in that report a "statement on the success in implementing the governing body’s policy for pupils with special educational needs" but the annual report to parents was abolished some yaers ago (in England - still required in Wales, and in Nursery Schools in England). When the requirement to publish the annual parents report ceased so did the annual SEN reporting.

Just because it's not a legal obligation doesn't mean it's not a good idea of course. You could propose to the GB that you do publish something each year to parents, maybe in the newsletter and/or on the shool website. You could ask your LA SEN team if they've seen any models of good practice or if they suggestions for you.
    BTW this is what the SEN Code of Practice says, but bear in mind that it was written before the obligation to publish the governors annual report to parents was repealed:
    "1:26 As part of their statutory duties, governing bodies of all maintained mainstream schools
    must publish information about, and report on, the school's policy on special educational
    needs. This information must be freely available to parents. While the governing body and
    the head teacher will take overall responsibility for the school's SEN policy, the school as
    a whole should be involved in its development. Governing bodies of maintained special
    schools must also publish information about, and report on, their school policies.
    Schools may also wish to consult the LEA and neighbouring schools in reviewing and
    revising their policy, in the interests of co-ordinated special educational provision within
    the area as a whole.

1:27 As with all policies, the SEN policy should be subject to a regular cycle of monitoring,
    evaluation and review. Thus governing bodies must, on at least an annual basis, consider,
    and report on, the effectiveness of the school's work on behalf of children with special
    educational needs. In drawing up their annual report they may wish to consult support
    services used by the school, other schools and parents. In the light of evaluation and the
    response to consultation the school should consider whether the policy needs amending."