1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN Form Time Ideas

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fibi17, Jun 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Evening all

In my high school we currently have a form (called nurture) with only SEN kids in. Their needs can range from just needing a quiet environment, poor behaviour, mental health needs, autistic spectrum etc. Unfortunately our current set up is not working due to poor behaviour which is then having a detrimental affect on the kids for the rest of the day.

We are planning on splitting the form up into more manageable groups (5 or 6 students max). We have been given pretty much free rein of what we do in form time in the morning (30 minute slot). I am hoping to create a routine of activities, whether this is a certain activity each day or starting with something in particular and then moving on to something else and so on.

So I would like to know what other people do during their form times which work well and that they would recommend. Budget is practically non-existent unfortunately so any free resources would be appreciated!

2. surf kitty too

surf kitty too New commenter

My ASD students have a timetable which they write out every morning into a schedule- a laminated blank which then gets pinned to the wall. On it they write the lesson, teacher, room and also what they will do at break and lunch club. As we often have staff absence they then know who will be taking each class and any other changes to their day. They can come back and check it as the day goes on. We go through letters to be sent home, check diaries and watch newsround.

3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

We have moved away heavilly from this type of approach in our school. We now ensure that children with needs are spread out as evenly as possible between tutor groups so that teachers take responsibility for them more in lessons.

4. BehaviourQueen

BehaviourQueen New commenter

Hi,

If these children are students with SEND, then surely they will have an EHCP or are on some kind of support plan; the very least an IEP. The “I” being the most important. Individual.

One size does not fit all, and as a dedicated SEND teacher for over 20 years please take note of this. You need to know who you have, and what they need, and budget shouldn’t come into it as resources are so easy to make yourself.

Routine is the key. Yes. This works great. Depending on age and ability, set up a consistent routine for each session so they know what is going to happen each day, to help them self-regulate if they can, or set up tasks that will help them do it. Use their IEPs to create small individual tasks, whether that be motor skills, or social skills, movement tasks. If some need quiet, allow them to read or draw, focusing on a topic they may be interested in.

Please use this time to get to know them. Include a timetable activity so they know what’s happening for the day. Assign jobs? There is so much vital work that can be done in this time (30 minutes is great) I’m sure you will reap the benefits from this if you.

Sorry if this seems “preachy” but I’m passionate about SEND.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The world is your oyster really.

Yoga (you don't have to tell them it's yoga), music, circle-time, football quiz, card games. Anything. Pick a name out and everybody writes 3 nice things about that person on sticky notes. Make a display. Do a display together. Give them their own display space.

As long as they enjoy and achieve. Give them some success at something.

6. Artdoodle

Artdoodle New commenter

My tutor group have really benefited for a pack I found about raising self esteem and confidence. In it there are a range of confidence building art activities that are simple but effective as well as quizzes and group work activities.

I also agree that routine is important and that the group know what is going to happen each day, I have a timetable for that on the wall. We also have Special tokens that reward students for effort and I give these out weekly.

It really depends on you group so getting to know them is paramount and then you can tailor the activities to their needs and skill level. It's great that they will be in smaller groups as that will make it much easier.
    My group have their own display space behind my desk; you could get them to write their names on a hand cut out or banner template and then decorate with anything that the like from food to interests and then display.

grumpydogwoman likes this.