1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN/EAL photocopy books and help with teaching wavelength.

Discussion in 'Science' started by myorangecrush, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I'm after help on two things really.

First is help on some good resource books for children with very little English, or/and English speakers with reading ages of below 7 - for GCSE Core and Additional Science (BTEC is no good, they can't access the textbooks to 'text edit').

Secondly, I'm teaching aforementioned GCSE class tomorrow, waves and wavelength. 20 kids, most with reading ages below 7, 4 with very little English.

HELP! Please. Ideas?

There's no behavioural issues - which is a bonus.

2. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

Why do you need textbooks? I've taught science in a special education for 14 years without ever using a text book. Many of my students have reading ages that prevent them using text books, but the main reason is I don't feel like I'm teaching properly when I hide behind a text book. I understand that BTEC presents problems to these students (I also teach BTEC to my students with no problems) but they can be overcome.

Perhaps you could make some resources yourself with keywords like dominoes etc, and do some practical work once you have built up a vocabulary to refer to. Have you had a look in the TES resources section, perhaps there is something already there?

3. I wrote a long message last night but then my internet crashed and it was lost. [​IMG]
    Shortened version: how sad to be planning at 6.30pm on the day before delivery. Assuming that is not your fault, try IoP website, along with TES as mentioned above. Use ropes or springs and start with single pulses - demonstrate speed and "no translation" of medium. Move on to longitudinal and transverse waves, possibly using Slinky.
    CARE: diagram of "one point against time" looks similar to "all points at an instant" (axes different). No1 gives PERIOD, no2 gives WAVELENGTH.
    Try Revision Guide - pupils could copy (I know that's not educationally sound, but this might be special situation) in English onto one side of exercise book and translate into mother tongue on oppposite page.

4. Thanks for the replies - perhaps I didn't make myself clear, but it's resource packs - sheets/worksheets/etc for SEN, not text books. I've been through everything in Waterstones and struggling to find anything. I'm sure I've had access to books before in a previous school, but I can't recall what they're called.
    I'll have a good look through the Science Learning Centre in York next time I'm there I think.