1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN children and 2 Levels progress

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stuffedcrust, Feb 20, 2010.

1. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I teach Y6 and in the last month, 4 EAL children have joined our class ? their first school in England. They definitely won?t achieve L4 in English but I don?t know what happens about the 2 levels progress thing when I don?t have any KS1 results for them.

I also have 45% SEN! Send all miracles my way please!

2. stuffedcrust

The title should be EAL children and 2 levels progress... Sorry!

3. stuffedcrust

Title should be EAL children and 2 levels progress! Sorry!

4. I'm not 100% certain about this but I think if a child has been in the country for less than 2 years then their SATS results aren't counted when compiling data on number of children making Level 4. As for two levels progress you just can't do it - it would be ridiculous for English anyway! Again I think their results aren't counted when compiling progress and CVA data, if they don't have a level for Key Stage 1 then it's impossible to make.

5. I am an inclusion manager teaching in crawley. 30% of my school speak 2 languages and I have 110 pupils on the SEN register. You must ask for help to identify using the QCA level descriptors where about they are for speaking, listening, reading and writing. Then you take that as your base line and work from here. You will be expected to make progress and you need to document this progress well. You do need to be really good at planning visually and using really good body language with the pupils, use interpretators and also the language converter on the internet if they can speak, read or write in their own language. You need to have help to complete this initial assessment so you know what they can do. Complete a non-verbal reasoning test to test cognitive ability. Good luck. Tanya

6. oh i forgot to say, that theywill not be entered for sats unless a child in level 3. If you read the 2010 sats booklet, read entitlement to not sit SATS - you can exempt children under category B.

7. stuffedcrust

Thank you for the advice everyone. Targets are looking a little rosier now!

8. Hi, I am trying to locate an exemption booklet for the SATs exam. I am in a Language Resource Class with children who have Speech and Language Difficulties as well as additional learning needs. I am new to this particular post but not knew to this kind of child. Not one child from this class now or in previous years has taken any Sats exams. However, now I am being told that because the children are functioning at Low level 1 (with 1 to 1 support) they now have to take these sats tests. Some of the language on the sats tests would have to be changed in order for the children to understand and yet on some of the papers you cannot do this. This would be the only way that these children would (may) understand. It is only a small group and they work at a reduced pace in order to access the curriculum. One of the post here mentioned using exemption B or T but I cannot locate anything on exemptions. Only for Early years. The children in question are in year 2 but they are not in mainstream we are attached to the school. I was given the information at the end of today so have not had a chance to speak to the Head of SEN at the local council. Do you have any ideas and were can I get the pesky booklet. Yes - I have clicked on the links on the posts but CANNOT find anything as there seems to be nothing there. I have even type in 2010 sats booklet/also every possible variation on exemptions from sats/ national curriculumn test etc. Any ideas? Cheers.

9. <font size="2">Hi, I am trying to locate an exemption booklet for the SATs exam. I am in a Language Resource Class with children who have Speech and Language Difficulties as well as additional learning needs. I am new to this particular post but not knew to this kind of child. Not one child from this class now or in previous years has taken any Sats exams. However, now I am being told that because the children are functioning at Low level 1 (with 1 to 1 support) they now have to take these sats tests. Some of the language on the sats tests would have to be changed in order for the children to understand and yet on some of the papers you cannot do this. This would be the only way that these children would (may) understand. It is only a small group and they work at a reduced pace in order to access the curriculum. One of the post here mentioned using exemption B or T but I cannot locate anything on exemptions. Only for Early years. The children in question are in year 2 but they are not in mainstream we are attached to the school. I was given the information at the end of today so have not had a chance to speak to the Head of SEN at the local council. Do you have any ideas and were can I get the pesky booklet. Yes - I have clicked on the links on the posts but CANNOT find anything as there seems to be nothing there. I have even type in 2010 sats booklet/also every possible variation on exemptions from sats/ national curriculum test etc. Any ideas? Cheers.</font>

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://orderline.qcda.gov.uk/gempdf/1445900130/qcda105363p_ara/QCDA104852_2011_key_stage_2_Assessment_and_reporting_arrangements.pdf
    7.3 Pupils with English as an additional language
    Pupils with English as an additional language (EAL) should be registered for the English
    and mathematics tests.
    If pupils cannot communicate in English they should not take the English tests and should
    be entered as &lsquo;B&rsquo; on the marksheets.
    To establish the pupil&rsquo;s level for mathematics, teachers and language-support staff should
    work together to translate national curriculum work into the pupil&rsquo;s preferred language.
    Care should be taken when translating sections of the tests from the pupil&rsquo;s preferred
    language to English.
    If a pupil is working below the level of the tests in mathematics, they should be entered
    as &lsquo;B&rsquo; on the marksheets. If a pupil is working at the level of the tests, the school should
    consider entering them and using the access arrangements set out in the 2011 key stage 2
    AAG available on the QCDA website at www.qcda.gov.uk/accessarrangements.

11. Msz

7.4 Pupils whose level cannot be established
    If a school does not have enough time before the tests to determine a pupil&rsquo;s level, they
    must be entered as &lsquo;T&rsquo; on the marksheets. This would apply to pupils who have recently
    arrived from a different education system, for example.

12. Msz

The SAT tests are for children working at level 2 or above,
    There are tasks for reading and maths for children working at level 1 but it is teacher assessment levels that need to be reported.

http://orderline.qcda.gov.uk/gempdf/1849629897/QCDA105372_KS1_ARA_further_guidance.pdf