1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN assessments

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by bigred74, Feb 6, 2012.

1. My head has asked me to buy some new assessments to carry out and track our SEN children. We are a Junior school.

I have the latest NFER reading assessments, Vernon and Salford already. Can anyone recommend any additional ones??

Please help!

2. I'm a HLTA in a selective secondary school ( I hold the CPT3A) and I could not live without DASH, Detailed Assessment for Speed of Handwriting. I use it as a baseline assessment for all Year 7 and redo in Year 9. You can administer to an entire year group, in my case 120 or individually. It takes just over 30 mins to do and about 10 mins per paper to score. Although if you do a large group, you can get to the point where you don't care how many times ' the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog'! It provides a Standard Score and so much more. You can identify possible SpLD's, such as dyslexia, dyspraxia and dysgraphia. starting age 9 years for the regular DASH, up to adult with the DASH 17+.
    Hope this helps

3. You don't say what you want to test for.
    I find the Sandwell Early Numeracy Test good. It is very child friendly and all the equiment you need to carry it out comes with it. It looks at five different strands of maths including vocabulary and gives you a National Curriculum level. You can then generate a report outlining what the child can do in each area and what they need to work on next. Goes from P8 to NC L2A. Has to be administered 1:1 and takes about 20 - 30 minutes.
    The Single Word Spelling Test is good. It comes with spelling tests for each age group, is standardised and you can plot the phonics the child knows onto a grid and it shows you what you need to teach. It is fairly quick to administer and can be given to groups.

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I would second the Sandwell test, it is really useful.

For reading I would recoemmend the York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension. It gives you standardised scores for reading accuracy, fluency and comprehension, as well as being able to use the assessment for diagnostic purposes.