1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN, Art and Design GCSE Alternative

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by swatkinson87, Nov 8, 2018.

1. swatkinson87

swatkinson87 New commenter

Hello

I work in a SEN school, majority are boys and their behaviour is very challenging and they have low interest in Art! We offer GCSE Art and Design (currently AQA, is another board better??), however the students are disengaged with this, cant see the reason as to why they are doing it as "when am I going to use art in the future..............." and I have noticed a common theme over the past few years with low interest in Art coming through from our Primary SEN setting.

Is there an alternative to GCSE? I understand there is a BTEC, would this work? But what I'm looking for is there anything else to consider out there that I am unaware of?

Thanks for your help!

2. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

Coming from a very similar school, I found Edexcel's BTEC Level 1/Level 2 a better choice. With their suggested SoW, you can tweak/alter to suit your cohort and what your faculty can offer, eg printmaking, photography, ceramics. Some students may end up with Level 1. But because you give guidance on exactly what they need to produce, most should be able to achieve L2.
    I also made a huge long list of 'People who went to Art School' with architects, musicians, textile and fashion designers, up on the wall. And a few prospectuses from FEs and Unis for anyone interested. At the very least, a qualification in Art & Design shows you can get a design off the page and into an object.