1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN and Piano = hitting a brick wall

Discussion in 'Music' started by veh01, May 7, 2011.

1. I've been privately teaching piano for 3 years now, but I have a pupil at the moment who gets the letter names of the notes completely muddled! - It's as if there is a mirror between the treble clef and the bass clef and the pupil continues to mix "d" and "b"; "a" and "e" ....etc. I'm thinking that this pupil has dyslexia, but none of my teaching strategies are working!!! Getting very dis-heartened!!!!! Any suggestions would be REALLY appreciated!

P.s I spent 20 minutes explaining how two quavers added together to equal one crotchet beat....to the same pupil..... MEGA NIGHTMARE!!!

What am I doing wrong? [​IMG]

2. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Buy them a drum. Lennox.

3. This worked REALLY well, thank you very much for the advice. My piano pupil now knows her notes inside out!!! I made her an animal chart and made a rhyme (really a story to be honest) for the animals/notes in the "treble circus" and the "bass circus" - she absolutely loved it. So was just letting you know how I got on, thanks again! :)

4. Get'em to sing everything they play.