1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN and ofsted

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by silver2003, Jun 5, 2012.

1. silver2003

silver2003 New commenter

I work in a special needs school. I would love to get outstanding when ofsted next visit. However if ofsted is all about rapid learning where do I stand with my children who need to revisit and over learn to grasp consepts and ideas?

2. silver2003

silver2003 New commenter

I work in a special needs school. I would love to get outstanding when ofsted next visit. However if ofsted is all about rapid learning where do I stand with my children who need to revisit and over learn to grasp consepts and ideas?

3. Outstanding doesn't just happen by 'performing' a lesson. You have to do a lot of preparatory work to ensure your all your pupils are making at least good progress. What does this look like? Well, start by looking at the DfE progression materials for SEN. They are for 2009, but they are the latest expected stats on progression through the lower NC levels and P levels. To be at least good, all your students should be making progress better than that indicated in those stats. There may be some students, due to their particular needs, who may not come up to those levels, but you can explain them in a pen portrait. This is important in SEN because of the very individual needs of these students and explains the situation to any visitor (including inspector) to your classroom.
    Look carefully at the evaluation schedule for good and outstanding. Notice that there is an emphasis on various things such as helping pupils to be independent, the use of support, basic skills across the curriculum, collaborative learning, tailoring work to ability. Make sure you develop this over time so that if you are observed it is clear that these things have been established over time.
    If so, you are very likely to get a 'good' grade for teaching. Outstanding, I would argue can then happen if the conditions are right, if the 'variables' are in your favour, such as pupils being as co-operative as they usually are, if it isn't windy outside ;-) and how much you've had to drink over the weekend.

4. I don't suppose you have a link for those progression materials? I can never find anything on govt websites.