1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN Advice Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fifo30, May 7, 2012.

1. Hi,

I'm hoping for some advice/idea's mainly to help with a child in my class. The little boy is 7, he has been diagnosed with Global Development Delay, but this diagnosis has been queried by other health professionals recently as he is significantly delayed in some areas, but not in others.
    Initially he refused to talk to any adult in the school and would only communicate with one word answers through other children. He would also only respond to teacher directions from other children. He began to speak openly and on occassion in a whole class setting last October. As a result further observations revealed he had quite a wide vocabulary and recognised many objects that wouldn't be of typical everyday use.
    He has been statemented, and is now working with LSA support until lunchtime since January, currently working on Pscales-4-8 which I know is quite a wide range. He can right his name, write numbers, order numbers but cannot re-tell a story or listen attentively to a story of any length at all. He has a very short concentration span (approx 5-10) He now recognises all sounds from phase 2, he is very reluctant to blend or segment. He is EAL, while both parents speak English and so do his significantly older siblings, he, however heavily relies on two-three verbs to describe what he is doing ie.e make and get. We have been working on extending this. While he has made progress he is beginning to read HF words, although I feel he is sight reading the words and is learning through repitition.
    I have used some of the p scale descriptors in the new SEN link (thank you for that) to help me plan and inform what he does, but I am having problems linking what he does to what the rest of the class is doing. It has been recommended that everything he does is somehow linked, by the SLT and the Senco, but I am really struggling. I understand that if we are investigating weight then he should to, but he often becomes frustrated and angry when this happens as he is beginning to recognise that he is working at a completely different level to the rest of the children. He will often lash out and say 'why is everybody looking at me?' . While his activities are sequenced and last no longer than 15 minutes, I am finding it very difficult to tie in what we are doing to the structure of his timetable. I would be very grateful for any ideas at all. I have scoured through other people plans and taken what I can but am quickly running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance
    Fi
    (Sorry about the longwinded message, I just felt that would save people coming back and asking questions)

2. Hi,

I'm hoping for some advice/idea's mainly to help with a child in my class. The little boy is 7, he has been diagnosed with Global Development Delay, but this diagnosis has been queried by other health professionals recently as he is significantly delayed in some areas, but not in others.
    Initially he refused to talk to any adult in the school and would only communicate with one word answers through other children. He would also only respond to teacher directions from other children. He began to speak openly and on occassion in a whole class setting last October. As a result further observations revealed he had quite a wide vocabulary and recognised many objects that wouldn't be of typical everyday use.
    He has been statemented, and is now working with LSA support until lunchtime since January, currently working on Pscales-4-8 which I know is quite a wide range. He can right his name, write numbers, order numbers but cannot re-tell a story or listen attentively to a story of any length at all. He has a very short concentration span (approx 5-10) He now recognises all sounds from phase 2, he is very reluctant to blend or segment. He is EAL, while both parents speak English and so do his significantly older siblings, he, however heavily relies on two-three verbs to describe what he is doing ie.e make and get. We have been working on extending this. While he has made progress he is beginning to read HF words, although I feel he is sight reading the words and is learning through repitition.
    I have used some of the p scale descriptors in the new SEN link (thank you for that) to help me plan and inform what he does, but I am having problems linking what he does to what the rest of the class is doing. It has been recommended that everything he does is somehow linked, by the SLT and the Senco, but I am really struggling. I understand that if we are investigating weight then he should to, but he often becomes frustrated and angry when this happens as he is beginning to recognise that he is working at a completely different level to the rest of the children. He will often lash out and say 'why is everybody looking at me?' . While his activities are sequenced and last no longer than 15 minutes, I am finding it very difficult to tie in what we are doing to the structure of his timetable. I would be very grateful for any ideas at all. I have scoured through other people plans and taken what I can but am quickly running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance
    Fi
    (Sorry about the longwinded message, I just felt that would save people coming back and asking questions)

3. Im sure others will be along with more detailed advice, but my first thought was could his LSA not work alongside him and also with your lowest ability group? Hopefully whatever your low group are doing could be differentiated slightly for him within that group, and then your LSAs time is spent wisely and he wont feel excluded.
    We have a severley autistic girl currently in Y5 who has 1:1 but her TA often incorporates her into group work with other children quite successfully - obviously she isn't accessing the learning on anywhere near the same level, but her sensory activity or whatever she is doing is done at the same table alongside those other children and the TA can then support the other children when this child is engaged and occupied for a few minutes.

4. Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, that could possibly work but he is not really working independently and will not focus on an activity for more than 5 minutes independently without then losing interest, getting out of his chair or shouting out. Or he will rush through what he is doing writing a long list of letters. Without one-on-one he will frequently shout out 'I can't do it'. For each activity he needs short verbal instructions that are sequenced with cards.
    Could you give me an example of what you mean by 'differentiate LA group slightly' in any context and how you do that, as this has been recommended and it is this that I am struggling to do as he will only work on short, small step tasks within an activity.

Thanks again

5. You need to be really careful just tagging him along your bottom group. He is on p4/5 ish? I imagine they are 1a/ 2c? There's a big difference there, and if he has a statement and hours - he is entitled to them and shouldn't have to share them. Make sure he is getting 1:1 IEP time on what is on his statement. That won't match year 2 stuff, that's why he has a statement. (Obviously there will be times when the group works brilliantly but . . ) He can work with the group in the afternoon when there is no support.
    I also don't entirely agree with your SENco. Yes, link his work at every available opportunity. DIfferentiate down where appropriate. But that's the key. Where appropriate. If your class are learning their 5 times tables, or what halves and quarters look like - he should have 1:1 time on IEP objectives then. If your class are reading extended stories, and he can't concentrate for extended periods and can't retell simple stories, he needs some 1:1 work on that then.
    I'd meet with your SEN co and ask for help with your planning - actually it sounds like you should be having 'expert' help from outside agencies . . resources etc. It's only gonna get harder the further up the school he goes. t's not a failure to ask for help; quite the opposite.

It sounds like he needs some self esteem work too . . . as this will continue to plummet as the gap widens. Which it will.
    On a different note, small group speech work/ including turn taking and verbs? 'Find your fish' is lovely.

6. Hi Jennie,
    Thanks so much for your reply. The reason I had put up the post was I have asked for help on planning since September from Senco and it hasn't happened. I spent hours trawling through the SEN section on this site and related everything he does to P scale targets/IEP targets, using a lot of the games/practical activities suggested etc. It took a while to get it right, but it does seem to be working and he has made progress. However, I am being pushed consistently during learning walks/observation feedback to include him daily in Maths and Literacy lessons hence why I asked for the advice on how would I bring that about as I have no idea. I am aware, as you pointed out, that there is a wide range between p scales and the levels in my class and as my class are quite bright, my lowest level is 2c, within that group their are only five children, 3 of which are stage 2/3 EAL. I have concerns about those children losing out and being distracted and the other little not fully benefitting during a lesson if this was the case on a daily basis. The little boy is working with the Speech LT on a weekly basis at the moment and she has been really helpful with idea's and specific language, techniques, games for turn taking etc. Do you know of any other agencies I should be in contact with or suggest we contact as the more in/out of school help he can get, the better it will be for him and his future teacher in the long run.
    Thank again.
    fifo

7. I'd suggest going back to those who've done the learning walks and observations and ask them to sit down with you and plan for this. Better still, they could show you. It is no help to tell you to do something and then leave you to just get on with it. If it has come up more than once, they should be realising that you need support with this. If they haven't realised, you need to spell it out to them. My feeling is that they don't particularly know themselves but if they are saying it needs to be done, they need to plan with you so it can be done.

8. It sounds like every child deserves a teacher like you, Fifo. It also sounds like your SENco is pants, to be quite blunt. AFter all your hours the little lad IS making progress - your'e clearly doing things right. IN my LEA every cluster of schools is linked to a 'parent' special needs school - our point of contact for speech therapy, OTs etc, but also a wealth of resources and ideas. Perhaps ask your ever so helpful SENco and/ or SMT if you could contact a local SEN primary school to see if you could go and observe any children they may have with similar needs, or if they have a link teacher that could come and observe him in your setting BECAUSE YOU NEED SOME HELP. I could scream for you. I hope said teacher is in year 3 next year (hee hee).

I would also ignore their advice about linking ALL of your work unless they can help you do it in a way that is beneficial to the little laddie and the rest of your children. And you.

Best of luck - honest, it sounds like you're doing brilliantly.