1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEN advice please.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by 4853Sarah, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I have a huge dilemma and shall keep this as brief as possible.
    Child enters Yr1 with a handover that he was a 'normal child'.
    1st day in it become obvious that there are issues. Spoke to mum who said child had FAS but no formal diagnosis. Told her to get a diagnosis which she has.
    I have 30 children in class with very little TA support. This child has a range of needs and is unable to do any work without support. He is violent and very disruptive in class.
    I've been telling the school about this for months now and have been largely ignored. He is operating at the level of a nursery child.

Tonight I went to my head of Key Stage to give her a report about the child (he had a CAF meeting coming up)
    This was his advice

1. Keep child sat with me during every lesson (give him a task) whilst I work with other groups.
    2. Create a work station for him and get him to sit there.
    3. Give him a task to do on the carpet. (He needs to learn to have concentration).
    4. When he is not in class explain to the rest of the children about his behaviour and get them to help me by ignoring his behaviour. My thoughts on this was to put a sign around his neck and get him to parade around the yard, explaining that he has SEN.
    5. Don't focus so much on him as I will be judged on how well I bring the others on.

When I said that I was unwilling to pass on the problem to another teacher next year and that I was worried how he will be supported as he went up to school, I was told that it was not going to be my problem.

What do I do?
    Many Thanks.
    Sarah.

2. I have a huge dilemma and shall keep this as brief as possible.
    Child enters Yr1 with a handover that he was a 'normal child'.
    1st day in it become obvious that there are issues. Spoke to mum who said child had FAS but no formal diagnosis. Told her to get a diagnosis which she has.
    I have 30 children in class with very little TA support. This child has a range of needs and is unable to do any work without support. He is violent and very disruptive in class.
    I've been telling the school about this for months now and have been largely ignored. He is operating at the level of a nursery child.

Tonight I went to my head of Key Stage to give her a report about the child (he had a CAF meeting coming up)
    This was his advice

1. Keep child sat with me during every lesson (give him a task) whilst I work with other groups.
    2. Create a work station for him and get him to sit there.
    3. Give him a task to do on the carpet. (He needs to learn to have concentration).
    4. When he is not in class explain to the rest of the children about his behaviour and get them to help me by ignoring his behaviour. My thoughts on this was to put a sign around his neck and get him to parade around the yard, explaining that he has SEN.
    5. Don't focus so much on him as I will be judged on how well I bring the others on.

When I said that I was unwilling to pass on the problem to another teacher next year and that I was worried how he will be supported as he went up to school, I was told that it was not going to be my problem.

What do I do?
    Many Thanks.
    Sarah.

3. Fantastic professional advice there from your KS leader. [​IMG]
    Is there a SENCo that you could seek advice from? I would take it up with the HT if the SENCo is not available. It is a very unrealistic expectation that you should have this child attached to your side all day but still manage to make progress with the others. I would be tempted to drop in the 'fabulous' advice from your KS leader too.
    Seek advice from the Ed Phsyc service. It all takes time though.