1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Semi-urgent query WJEC Media GCSE

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by englishtt06, Sep 8, 2011.

1. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Dear Media teachers! I taught GCSE Media a few years ago and used to contribute to this forum off and on. I may be able to teach it again this year if I can put in a persuasive proposal; however, I would only be able to teach it in one year. I used to teach it in one year under the old WJEC spec because we were allowed a cross-over topic with the exam (e.g. the pre-production CW could be on the same genre as the exam topic - pupils designed a music intro when the exam topic was Music Television). If there is scope for a cross-over then I may be able to swing it but I would need to get them started ASAP (this is a very bright Year 9 group who all achieved high Level 6s and 7s in Year 8 so I feel they will just be treading water in KS3 - I have delivered GCSE Media to Year 9 top sets in the past and they achieved very impressive results as well as being really stretched and, most importantly of all, thoroughly enjoying the subject matter!). So, I have had a look at the Teachers' Guide and spec on the website but cannot see anything specific about cross-over topics? Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hi
    I think the answer is yes - but not for production. So you could look at (for example) representation of gender (textual analysis) in music magazines (exam topic). However - although music magazines are one of the exam topics you could do magazines from a completely different genre for production.
    I think that's right - but I would double check with the subject officer - Jo - at the wjec.
    Best of luck

3. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Thanks Bazzie - I did check and you are right! I think I will be going with AQA though since two other teachers in my dept. deliver it currently and it makes moderation/exam prep easier all round (although I do, in general, prefer the WJEC).

4. The WJEC Film Studies is easy to do in one year. Film Edu (of Edusites fame) have a SOW for this already http://film.edusites.co.uk/article/wjec-gcse-film-studies-overview/

I would do that. You could always do a magazine for the production if you wanted to make it more multi-media.

Good luck!