1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEMH

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by cheekyme01, Aug 26, 2020.

1. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

What strategies can be used to support SEMH? Do various resources have to be created for them?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It depends on what you're doing, whether the whole group are SEMH, or just a noticeable (or even anonymous) few.
    What works in one context may be a disaster in another context.
    I would say it's not so much resources as ways of working. Respond to the kid as they are not as you would respond to a neurotypical child . Allow more take up time than you might otherwise, realise that emotional or cognitive overload might be reached sooner than neurotypically.
    Bottom line, they're not freaks or mutants, just nearly normal kids who haven't yet got the emotional toolkit to cope with the world. Sometimes you have to screw up the lesson plan...
    I can do that when it's 1:1

minnie me likes this.
  3. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

Thank you @phlogiston

All pupils are SEMH as it is an alternative provision school.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Whole school approach re BFL . Policy based on Rules Rights Responsibilities Relationships. Best resource is your staff . They model good social skills .Bespoke time limited intervention / therapeutic programmes for individual students. Many of your co hort will have emotional (il) literacy issues - should be a focus in your curriculum. So consider your climate for learning and programmes designed to reduce anxiety ......

phlogiston likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

6. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

Can someone provided some advice on teaching at SEMH schools? I know it is challenging, especially with the whole missed school situation now. What's the likeliness of teachers staying in these schools.