1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

selling - think I've got it wrong!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I put an item on ebay last weekend because it was free. Now I realise that I cannot put a reserve price! Will I have to sell it for the price irrespective of what it is - currently running at £1.04 (but with 10 watchers)?

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Cancel the listing, put the reason as item broken etc. It's not worth trying to save a few pence with these free listings, the whole world lists at the same time and you rarely get what you want. Try a Buy It Now with Make an Offer, that way you have a chance to turn down daft offers and can do a little bit of negotiating.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Reserve prices are a complete turn off for many buyers - the trick is to make the bidders think they're getting a bargain. A low start price and no reserve with watchers in double figures means it's highly likely you'll get the going rate for the item, provided that you haven't got the auction ending at silly-o-clock. I always pay an extra 6p to schedule my auctions so they end around 7pm on a Saturday or Sunday evening. That way most people in the UK will be at home, and the USA will have woken up.

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I didn't realise you could schedule the end time! (as you can see I'm new this). Is it too late to change the end time now?

5. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Yes... sorry [​IMG]

6. magic surf bus

For future reference, what you actually do is schedule the start time, so for a 7 day auction to end at 7pm Sunday you'd schedule the auction start for the same time the previous Sunday. For a 10 day auction you'd go for a 7pm Thursday start.

7. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Where or when does it say to schedule the auction?

8. Oh angie, you and the internet should be kept apart. :¬))
    You have two options.....the moral option is sit it out , honour your contract and learn from the experience...or...the nasty option ..create another account , refuse to send the item and accept the black mark on your present account.

9. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thanks for the vote of confidence Baubs[​IMG]
    I've got 5 bids so far, 11 watchers and its up to £2.20 woohoo!!!
    Is that good[​IMG]

10. how long to go?

11. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

5days and 22 hrs!

12. Having bids so early and having watchers is a very good sign.

13. Just withdraw the item from sale - its easy.
    Next time change the starting price to the lowest you would be prepared to accept. It won't be a free listing.

14. Or just risk it - 10 watchers is pretty good. All the bidding won't really get going till 5 mins before the end anyway!!

15. magic surf bus

The Scheduling option is in the same section as the starting price, just below where you select the duration.

Early bids and watchers in double figures is usually good news, especially if the early bidders have high feedback numbers (ie more experienced eBayers).

What are you selling anyway, a Picasso? What are you hoping to get for the item?

16. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Yes what are you selling? I'm intrigued!
    Most bidders will watch and then not bid until the listing has nearly ended. Did you say the item was free to you? Don't cancel it, chances are you'll do well with this number of bids and watchers unless it's a valuable item.

17. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oooo getting excited now - up to 21 watchers 6 bidders and £3.42 and 2 days exactly to go!!!!!!!!!

18. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Oooo - that does sound good! Do let us know how it ends x

19. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

No I don't think so magic!!!
    Its up to £23.70 and 3mins to go - am getting seriously worried now! Own fault for not reading the small print

20. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Ah well - that was the final price!! Was really hoping for around £50 or a surprise. Will know next time.
    Cant remember what to do now as I've sold one thing before and that was a couple of years ago. Will have to go and study the rules etc. Thanks for all staying with me, hope you enjoyed the ride [​IMG]