1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selling something every day

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by TheGingerTeacher, Jul 15, 2015.

1. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I do know I'm talking to myself but, I am posting in the hope that someone will find this forum and join in my conversation.

I am starting to get daily sales!!!!! Yay!Things like this make me really excited! Just thought I would share that with......................................... Myself

2. betsybelleteach

betsybelleteach New commenter

can't have you talking to yourself in all these topics now can we?!

I have been creating one per day over the past fortnight in the hope that the end of August early September will see a buying and selling frenzy.

It's difficult to gauge the popularity of diff types of resource without purchases or feedback so I'm just carrying on regardless, safe in the knowledge that at least my own lessons will be boldly fantastic!x

hasslethehog and cate_h like this.
  3. TheGingerTeacher

One per day!! Wow that is good, I manage to get about one a week up.

I am so pleased there is someone answering me! I hope this forum will grow.

4. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

My resources are selling very little.
    I haven't got many, so I'm hoping that with more resources up, I'll do better.
    I can't quite predict what people want, and the stuff I have decided to make takes me way too long.

5. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

'Way too long' in your head, sounds like quality to me, rather than quantity. That's my approach too ;) I barely find time to make resources I'd be willing to pay for seeing as I'm drowning in marking! 4 days to go. Perhaps I'll catch a 'motivation to make resources wave' in the summer!

mathsmutt likes this.
  6. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

And so the summer slow down in sales begins. Everything between now and September is a bonus!!! Lots of free time to make resources though! Agree with cate_h. Quality is way more important than quantity - sometimes takes me weeks to put something together (fitting in around teaching is difficult to say the least). 5 'n' half days to go. Only 2 evening performances, head's leaving do and the year 6 leavers' party to fit in!

mathsmutt, Alice K and cate_h like this.
  7. TheGingerTeacher

I agree, I have always found the resources which take the longest sell the best.

mathsmutt likes this.
  8. Albichuelita

Albichuelita New commenter

I am new to the selling bussiness but to be honest it's is so amazing when you sell resources. It takes me a long time to make them and I put a lot of love on my creations so when they sell I feel like a writer when they sell books! Such an amazing feeling! :)

cate_h and mathsmutt like this.
  9. pwilloughby3

pwilloughby3 New commenter

Charlee. Help please! I ve been doing my own graphics because I don't really understand the copyright laws and am terrified of breaking them. Now , as I also write the songs, each resource takes weeks to make from scratch. I have some other non music resources. Where can I go to to take free graphics or cheap graphics free?
    Pwilloughby3

10. TheGingerTeacher

11. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I did consider selling resources when I was uploading some this morning, but was scared off by copyright (I teach Geography so there's always photos and sometimes Ordnance Survey maps). I don't want to infringe any rules so avoided those resources. One set of resources worked so well, when I thought about it that I've contacted the GA to see if I can write an article instead. Is it worth putting resources on financially? How do you know what you can use and what you can't? Do you need to copyright other people's photos etc?

Thank you :)

12. TheGingerTeacher

I would say go to the source and see what their terms of use are (if they have them) or just contact them and ask. There are lots of places online to get pictures and artwork that the creator is happy to be used in products.

It's a growing business so I would say yes it is worth it

mathsmutt likes this.
  13. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Thank you, that helps and is sound advice. I've uploaded 4 today and checked the copyright of a website I want to use, which basically says go ahead as long as you credit. :)

mathsmutt likes this.
  14. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

15. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @rebecccajwalker ,

This may help...

There are currently issues with copyright so please do be careful to protect yourself and your resources and read the posts which @redlamp2 has linked.

Good luck :)

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You can't copyright other peoples work, the copyright belongs to the creator!

redlamp2 and mathsmutt like this.
  17. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi again @rebecccajwalker ,

@wanet is correct.

I've been trying to find a previous lengthy discussion about copyright- to no avail.

Anyway, remember that the copyright of any resources you make in school predominantly for your pupils in the course of your duties generally belongs to your employer - unless you have a contract to the contrary.

Any resources created by yourself, out of school as part of a legitimate business are copyrighted by yourself.

Any materials created by pupils are copyrighted to the pupils.

Many of us here run small businesses and are more than annoyed when fellow users of TES take other's work and offer it for sale purporting it to be their own.If you notice any such resources, please report it.

Finally, don't forget that any sales are income as far as HMRC are concerned.

Good luck :)

Charleei likes this.
  18. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Excellent, thank you. I've uploaded quite a number of free resources but was more worried if I was going to try and sell them. I've tried to make sure that any images were copyright free and have credited photos (as per the advice from the website I used). I'll be very surprised if I sell any, I've always been quite happy to give away resources but the competitive side of me was drawn in (summer holidays are expensive so it's worth a try!)

Charleei likes this.