1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selling Resources

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by akcptgrey, Oct 8, 2015.

1. akcptgrey

akcptgrey New commenter

Hello,

I have created a large back catalogue of homework resources that I have put a lot of effort into over the years. I am toying with the idea of sprucing them up a little and selling them as a full packet of ready use homeworks with video solutions.

The problem is that a lot of the homework's use past paper questions or questions derived from past paper questions. (mathematics IB mostly, but some iGCSE).

Is this intellectual property of the exam boards? Do I have a right to use it for financial gain?

any help would be appreciated.

AK

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sure many would find it useful, but you are right to be wary. Don't know what the latest posting conditions say (not posted any for a while and not since NuTES) but it used to ask , Are all contributions your own? or words to that effect. You couldn't then truthfully say they were.

3. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I would say not.

If you were putting them up as free resources, then whilst it's still probably a bit dodgy on the copyright front, it's less of a concern. I know some of my resources on TES contain exam questions (ones which are freely available to the public via the exam board website) but as my resources are all free I am not gaining from this.

Personally I don't think it's appropriate to charge for resources on TES anyway. Your "customers" are your peers, your colleagues, your fellow-teachers, and I think it's really selfish to try to make money out of them rather than sharing freely. Presumably you have produced these resources for your own classes and would have produced them regardless of whether or not you could charge for them.

I think it's great that (having put a lot of work into my lesson resources) I can then share them freely so other teachers can benefit. I wouldn't expect anything in return (although it's always nice when people post positive reviews!).

jit, Owen134866 and DYNAMO67 like this.
  4. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

So I had the iGCSE syllabus as part of one of my resources (intro to course lesson) and I asked CIE if it was possible to include this in a lesson plan - they said NO! It's freely available online so it seemed strange but I understand!

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I am not sure that you are entitled to sell resources that have been created whilst working for a school. You will probably find that the copyright belongs to the school!

6. akcptgrey

akcptgrey New commenter

I appreciate the ethical question that this raises. Its great that you will release your material for free. I commend you for it. The fact is that I would be spending hours and hours altering the resources to fit a wider audience. I would like to charge for that, not unlike many other professionally developed, targeted resources e.g. textbooks.

It does seem, however, that with the exam material being under copyright, that unless there is a major rewrite, the homeworks will have to stay with me!

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

With the greatest respect I am not sure how much money you would make anyway. Who are the people who purchase via TES. I had a look out of interest, and it really is a shot in the dark as you cannot get a feel for the resources before you buy.

On top of that I don't know you. How do I know that you are any good? There are better resources available if you are looking to pay. I agree entirely with myrtille, I do not like the new idea of selling resources. not inkeeping with the spirit of the community for me....

jit and Owen134866 like this.
  8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

To answer your question (sorry) I would imagine it is the property of the exam board. You could take them out, but would this make the product you offer a bit pointless?

9. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Pleased to see others agreeing with me on the resources. I have gratefully seized on many a freely offered resource in the past, humbly thanking the kind person who produced it. I have produced some super stuff myself - and have shared a lot of it with others. This to me is one of the greatest parts of teaching; that we support each other freely, offer help where needed, happily gifting our time to others if it will help them out with a bottom set, tricky Y9 on a wet Friday afternoon. I see that several of the '£' resources have dropped their prices, and look to be a'bargain'. I wouldn't buy one, ever, on principle. I've taught for a great many years and will always tweak and adapt stuff anyway. Often things are great for saving me time - but I've opened plenty in the past to have a look and rejected them as being completely unsuitable for a variety of reasons.

Owen134866 and DYNAMO67 like this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Past papers are the property of the exam board. If the resources were created in the course of your job, then they belong to the school. So, no, I don't think that you can sell them.

wanet likes this.